The TSLA Market / Economy

I’m a recent first-time purchaser of I-bonds and my experience signing up both myself and my wife was painless. (So a $20k annual max purchase allowed across both accounts.) I would have bailed, too, if I had gotten that notice.

If you want to feel better, I’ve got 2 yrs.

It’s a lot, but the peace of mind is huge.

I believe that is correct. It’s also per person. If you’re married, your wife can get in on the action.

You can even get the kids in on it, but there are some additional issues to consider if you do that.

A lot of rascal scooter people (or soon to be) at Dollar General. Maybe that’s what they’re banking on.

This is why DeFi matters.

3 Likes

I also tried to open an account to buy I bonds last week after seeing the interest rate on them had jumped a ton. Being a very lazy person, my reaction was screw this when I realized I would have to do more than create an account on a website to buy the bonds. Oh well, I’ll probably just invest in more STONKS and hope for the best.

3 Likes

These models all eventually rely on fully automated delivery systems like drones or self driving cars to really make money.

Having an account is just a good thing to have, imo. Then when something like this comes up or you have another reason to buy US bonds, it is simple to do.

So I’m actually going through this nonsense to get a bank account added to TreasuryDirect. At one point, the TD site asks you to answer your 3 security questions (“What was your first car?” type stuff). But they don’t give you 3 questions. They give you a list of 10 and tell you to answer the three that you selected when you set up the account. And if you can’t remember which ones you selected 10 years ago, you must answer them all. LOL WTF.

ETA: LOL, made 2 attempts and then:

Shocking that the gov’t runs the absolute worst website in existence.

5 Likes

in a way i feel sorry for these people who worked for their entire lives to save a shitton of money and don’t even know how to enjoy it.

lmao

It correlated. If they knew how to enjoy it, then they wouldn’t have saved it to begin with.

I’ve got mixed feelings on it. I have your reaction, but I also understand that it is hard to pull the plug.

Based on a quick look at what was available in the highest priced premiums (the platinum level coverage) in the Boston area, health insurance costs for two would be around $2,500 a month, or about $30,000 a year.

That’s $500 more than my house payment + HOA. How many people can actually afford this shit?

My plan when I semi-retire is to not pay for health insurance until medicare. And just live with whatever care I can pay for in Costa Rica or something similar.

1 Like

Yeah I think my plan is not to play this game.

Within California you’ll get free coverage if you meet the income limits (currently $17.6k/yr):
https://www.dhcs.ca.gov/services/medi-cal/Pages/DoYouQualifyForMedi-Cal.aspx

Just avoid income in taxable accounts.

I worry too much about stuff and over-prepare for things, I get the mentality they have of always being anxious about money even when they’re crushing the retirement game. It also can be comforting knowing you’ve got some big pile of money socked away in case your life situation gets rocked by some kind of crisis.

2 Likes

Correct. Also I believe the Obamacare marketplace plans don’t have asset tests. I put in $30k of income and Redondo Beach. Look at this no-deductable plan for a 55yo:

I just went through open enrollment for 2022, and since I’m retiring by next summer, I entered my income as half of what I made this year.

This allowed me to move from paying $150/mo for a high deductible plan to paying $5/month for a Silver plan with a $750 deductible.

Any of you early retirement people price out health insurance for a family of 4?

If my kids can be on my insurance until their mid 20s, I’m gonna be paying for an exchange plan for a long time.

Every time I look at my options on the marketplace it sucks, there’s only two companies and the absolute lowest is like 350/month and it’s shit so I end up just with whatever I have, whatever that does.

Jealous at the rest of you damn wtf is this shit

I’m gonna have to figure this shit out I’m clearly missing something.