The TSLA Market / Economy

Just off the top of my head, Narcos, Queen’s Gambit, Cobra Kai, BoJack, Tiger King, The Crown, and Salt Fat Acid Heat have all been huge hits in the last year or two. There’s also tons of weird little niche shows.

Lol at every CEO complaining about a worker shortage.

PAY PEOPLE MORE THIS ISNT HARD

It was a good show with a great cast! It’s the kind of show that I could imagine people watching 3-5 years from now. Similar to how Netflix was my go-to place for watching The West Wing, The Office, and Parks and Rec. And how HBO is awesome for re-watching The Sopranos or The Wire.

LOL at the idea of someone in 2025 being like, “I am dying to re-watch Tiger King and Floor is Lava”.

1 Like

Seems like there’s maybe one good new Netflix show per year and everything else isn’t worth the time investment

Even just going on 2020, Netflix is still highly relevant and their production budget is probably justified. As a simple benchmark just consider the Golden Globes for the 2020 year:

Movies Drama - 2/5 Netflix productions (Mank and Trial of the Chicago 7)
Movies Comedy/Musical - 1/5 nominees for Prom
TV Drama - The Crown won, 2/4 other nominees both Netflix (Ozarks and Ratched)
TV Comedy/Musical - 1 nomination out of five for Emily in Paris

So they’re still in the game, I think that fact that they’re in the running for Best Picture at the Academy Awards is also a success story them. Only recently they were in competition for TV shows but being at the top in TV shows and film is new.

1 Like

Also, there’s a lot of value for the consumer in the tons of low-budget shovelware Netflix puts out there. There’s for sure some weird show out there that you’ll like even if it’s an obscure niche thing.

Obv HBO is the king when it comes to prestige shows people will still remember 5 years from now.

It’s astonishing that experienced politicians with professional PR people can put out such obviously-stupid bullshit.

https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1385211492056842241

It’s a war and we’re fighting a never ending wave of tanks with butter knives.

Excuse me those butter knives WENT TO HARVARD, they will get us out of this!

1 Like

The “common sense” reason is that the pay and/or working conditions need to be altered to attract people.

What point is Rubio trying to make here?

1 Like

He probably means that we need to cut corporate taxes to allow them to hire people or something stupid like that.

1 Like

His point is reduce unemployment benefits / stimulus so people have no choice.

2 Likes

No, he thinks the lazy poors are chowing down steak and lobster on $1,400 of Biden Bucks, thereby depriving real american small business owners, you know the kind that fund Marco Rubio, of an endless supply of labor at poverty-inducing wages.

3 Likes

Right, anything other than pay people a living wage.

I love Yahoo Finance

Get a notification “Stocks down because Biden wants to raise taxes on rich people’s capital gains”

proposal is to double capital gains tax for $1m+ so definitely :notstonks:

Oh snap, Biden’s threatening to burn down the stonks.

https://twitter.com/cnbcnow/status/1385280458594963457?s=21

I thought the all knowing market would have already priced in this obvious move

3 Likes

So, rich people with stocks are going to do what exactly? Sell all their shares (triggering immediate capital gains tax) and invest their money in, uh, what exactly? High yield savings accounts earning less than inflation? 10 year Treasuries yielding (checks notes) also less than inflation. How about that.

“Taxable investor fearing higher capital gains taxes 15 years from now sell all their shares so they can pay capital gains taxes now.”

Story checks out.

1 Like