The TSLA Market / Economy

My Yahoo Finance notification said they only added 3.98m subscribers which missed projections “sharply”

Sitting at home and binge watching netflix can only be fun for so long apparently.

https://old.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/muvxgc/george_floyd_play_of_the_century/

I’ve been playing very close attention to the George Floyd trial, and anyone with a brain can tell that this Chauvin guy is probably going to get off.

if Chauvin is acquitted, CVS will be going all the way down to $0/share!!! The market is clearly not pricing this in

2 Likes

I mean I laughed but I’m a terrible person.

Just closed on the sale of our suburban house and moved back to an apartment in the city. We’re now 100% liquid with 0 debt, and 35x annual expenses. DCAing the house proceeds (should be no federal taxes, not sure about state) into the market over the next 6 months or so, and getting ready to retire in about 3.5 months. The OMC plan appears to have worked.

13 Likes

Also the buzziest shows of the year are on HBO, Amazon and Disney+.

Yeah, also if you’re going to have this post Covid travel/gathering surge that potentially lifts a lot of the hard hit industries out of decline, you ain’t maintaining covid level netflix subscriptions and other tech usages.

1 Like

Sounds like somebody hasn’t seen Pui Pui Molcar yet.

7 Likes

Since when was this thread about reasons why stonks stonks or not stonk?

It really is astonishing how Netflix has gone from “mandatory subscription that I would happily pay twice the price for” to “meh, I barely ever watch anything on there”. HBO Max is just dominating my viewing because their library is so huge. Reminds me of something that (I think) Buffett said once - if you’re looking at the provider of content vs. the owner of content, it’s the owner of content that is going to keep the majority of the profits. Now, maybe I just made that up, but I think it describes the current landscape pretty well. I mean, I grumbled at the idea of Disney and HBO creating their own channels and moving all of their content off of Netflix, but I also pretty immediately signed up for those channels.

1 Like

Netflix spends like $15 billion a year on content and it all sucks. How is that possible? I can’t think of one original Netflix anything that is must watch, outside documentaries. They’re pretty obviously green lighting shitty ideas the actual studios pass on.

It’s not about ideas though, is it? It’s about writing talent and directors. But I guess those guys pitch to all the studios and maybe want to accept offers from real studios instead of Netflix, so all their shitty ideas end up in Netflix?

If so, Netflix needs to try to revert to the old studio system where they get a bunch of good writers under exclusive contracts. Maybe directors too, but that’d be harder.

The Haunting of Hill House is must watch.

All the good talent has first look deals with the real studios. Netflix therefore only gets projects studios don’t want to make. Really their only shot at good movies is when a project is too expensive (The Irishman) or too niche.

I know in recent years they’ve been trying to sign A-list talent to first look deals but I don’t think they’ve had much success. Not sure why (they’re certainly willing to spend), probably has something to do with distribution.

The last few seasons of House of Cards were atrocious.

2 Likes

This actually made me curious, so I searched for Netflix original programming. Not surprisingly, there’s a wikipedia entry, as well as one specifically for ended original programming, and several for Netflix original movies.

And there’s a lot that I’ve actually watched at least part of:

• Stranger Things
  • Ozark
  • Queen’s Gambit
  • Atypical
  • Nailed It!
  • Love is Blind (don’t @ me)
  • Cobra Kai

Ended:

• House of Cards
  • Orange is the New Black
  • Bloodline
  • Friends from College
  • Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp
  • Wet Hot American Summer: Ten Years Later
  • BoJack Horseman
  • Making a Murderer

I usually watch Chappelle specials when they show up, but I almost never find myself just jumping on Netflix to browse. I’ve seen almost none of the original movies, and only have interest in a few more:
Seen:

• El Camino
  • Dolemite Is My Name
  • Marriage Story
  • Knock Down the House

Want to See:

• The Irishman
  • Trial of the Chicago 7
  • Hillbilly Elegy (lol jk)

This is not an overwhelming list, considering that I’ve been subscribed to Netflix since they were sending out physical DVDs. The primary attraction for me, apparently, has been watching other companies’ content in a convenient centralized location. And that’s going away now that everyone is streaming their own stuff. So my guess is that I’ll continue to happily pay for HBO and Disney, because of their existing libraries and their ability to generate new stuff, Amazon Prime because I can’t see myself ever not subscribing, but I’m guessing at some point I’ll just pull the plug on Netflix.

Now I kind of want to short it. But lol at shorting a FAANG stonk.

What? They’ve had some pretty strong hit shows in the last few years.

2 Likes

Pretty sure Narcos and Narcos Mexico were Netflix productions and those are elite. Stranger Things is good, I’m not a fan but people like The Crown. Some of the Marvel shows were good, I liked Daredevil and Punisher. Probably some comedies I’m forgetting, yeah they put out a lot of garbage but there is definitely some good stuff

2 Likes

Yeah, doesn’t get much better than those.

2 Likes

They could have made them in English so I don’t have to read anything.

I really liked this show but you’re the only other person I’ve ever heard mention it.