The TSLA Market / Economy

this is why i don’t invest in musk’s companies, except through funds or whatevs. cw feels that when he buys a tesla stock, his interests align with elon, but i disagree.

“targeting” aid is a bit like “means testing”, no? but we already know that means testing helps those who know how to navigate the system, usually with lawyers who can help, and leaves those who actually need it in the dust.

I’m not saying giving poor people money caused the inflation crisis, I’m saying that it caused inflation in discretionary consumer goods like electronics back during 2020-21, which was a sign it didn’t work as intended.

I don’t think a survey like that is reliable.

More like TVs and PlayStations. I’m not criticizing their decisions either. I think the evidence was what happened in prices when this was going on, as well as anecdotally from a guy who runs an electronics store in my poker game.

Perhaps, although there are ways to address that too.

I guess I should have said discretionary consumer goods. And no it wouldn’t cause inflation in food and utilities because demand for milk and bread wouldn’t increase notably. I guess maybe demand for steak could go up, or something.

Wait, what? I don’t own TSLA anyway, but I’m not sure what point you’re referencing that I’ve made.

I didn’t say it caused the current inflationary environment, I said the opposite nearly from the start. People keep misunderstanding and/or twisting what I’m saying.

I’m basically saying TVs got more expensive when this money went around, at the same time that people who usually have ~no discretionary spending money had some. They flew off shelves anyway, despite the price hikes.

i actually found the post. i had like a two reply argument with you.

I believe my take was if I own a stock and it goes up that’s good for me regardless of why. Obviously if it’s a pump and dump I have to sell it to realize the benefits, but the opportunity to do so is a good thing.

yeah sure, but i’d rather not chase stocks based on a pump and dump billionaire. that’s just not good for my mental health

Oh I would never suggest chasing that as a strategy, and as I said I’m not a TSLA owner cause I think it’s ridiculously over priced.

But if the primary shareholders of one of my stocks wants to pump and dump it, maybe they’ll take it past my exit point in the process and I’ll get a nice win out of it by accident. If not, it falls back to it’s prior valuation.

High inflation just breaks people’s brains. It’s everywhere in the media. When for much of thr last decade it was at or near historic lows you never heard about it. No one gets credit for low inflation. But the pendulum has to swing then it’s a fucking crisis every time.

or maybe it will fall back past prior valuation because the ceo is a clown and does stonks fraud out in the open.

anyways, sorry i said you owned tesla. i just reiterate i don’t invest into stocks headed up by clowns. … err, anymore. :blush:

1 Like

https://twitter.com/followtheh/status/1513490897161310212?s=21&t=8b_bGXoguRnyQok5Tv6TvA

I think of targeted aid like this. Is it better to give people health care or is it better to give them cash that they can spend on health care, if they choose? CW is proposing a middle third way of giving them cash that can only be spent on health care, except instead of health care, we’re talking about food, housing, etc.

It makes more sense to just give people health care than to just give them food because it’s fine to give everyone the same health care but not so good to make everyone eat exactly the same food. Does it make sense to give people money they can use on rent if they choose or to give them some sort of housing vouchers or just straight up build houses for them?

The most effective and efficient method of providing aid probably depends on what particular necessity you are trying to help them with.

Looks like consensus was right around 8.4-8.5%, so it’ll be interesting to see how the market reacts.

Do you have some citation that the inflation seen in electronics was not primarily caused by supply chain disruption, but instead was caused by stimmy checks?

What are some examples of things government has done by “moving money around” as opposed to “creating money out of thin air”?

Tax and spend versus spend and spend.

Using income tax to buy guns.

So in the case of the Iraq/Afghanistan wars, was that moving money around or creating money?