The TSLA Market / Economy

Oh I would never suggest chasing that as a strategy, and as I said I’m not a TSLA owner cause I think it’s ridiculously over priced.

But if the primary shareholders of one of my stocks wants to pump and dump it, maybe they’ll take it past my exit point in the process and I’ll get a nice win out of it by accident. If not, it falls back to it’s prior valuation.

High inflation just breaks people’s brains. It’s everywhere in the media. When for much of thr last decade it was at or near historic lows you never heard about it. No one gets credit for low inflation. But the pendulum has to swing then it’s a fucking crisis every time.

or maybe it will fall back past prior valuation because the ceo is a clown and does stonks fraud out in the open.

anyways, sorry i said you owned tesla. i just reiterate i don’t invest into stocks headed up by clowns. … err, anymore. :blush:

1 Like

https://twitter.com/followtheh/status/1513490897161310212?s=21&t=8b_bGXoguRnyQok5Tv6TvA

I think of targeted aid like this. Is it better to give people health care or is it better to give them cash that they can spend on health care, if they choose? CW is proposing a middle third way of giving them cash that can only be spent on health care, except instead of health care, we’re talking about food, housing, etc.

It makes more sense to just give people health care than to just give them food because it’s fine to give everyone the same health care but not so good to make everyone eat exactly the same food. Does it make sense to give people money they can use on rent if they choose or to give them some sort of housing vouchers or just straight up build houses for them?

The most effective and efficient method of providing aid probably depends on what particular necessity you are trying to help them with.

Looks like consensus was right around 8.4-8.5%, so it’ll be interesting to see how the market reacts.

Do you have some citation that the inflation seen in electronics was not primarily caused by supply chain disruption, but instead was caused by stimmy checks?

What are some examples of things government has done by “moving money around” as opposed to “creating money out of thin air”?

Tax and spend versus spend and spend.

Using income tax to buy guns.

So in the case of the Iraq/Afghanistan wars, was that moving money around or creating money?

Mostly moving money around I believe.

Well it happened like a year before the supply chain issues really kicked in, except for toilet paper.

Can someone explain exactly what goes into this consumer price index?

The idea that prices are higher by only 8.4% compared to last year is just laughable.

2 Likes

The biggest cause of this round of inflation is that we massively pumped money into the system using Fiscal Policy, which actually gives money to poor people, who are more likely to Consume their extra $$ in one way or another.

This created a ton of demand in the economy, and supply actually went down in a time of increasing demand. It really isn’t any more complicated than this.

Unfortunately, all of the tools we have in terms of fiscal policy and monetary policy are designed to address demand shocks. When demand is low because people don’t have money, we give people money to increase demand.

When supply is dependent on a global supply chain (Like semiconductors from Taiwan), the US Govt can’t just build a semiconductor factory to address the problem because it takes years to get it running up to speed.

2 Likes

I was working in manufacturing at that time and I can tell you COVID took roughly a month and a half to royally fuck up the supply chain.

I can’t speak to the price of electronics in stores at the time but there were PCB issues within 6 weeks.

Here are the weights:
https://www.bls.gov/cpi/tables/relative-importance/2021.htm

Here are the inflation rates by major components:
https://www.bls.gov/news.release/cpi.nr0.htm

Shelter is the biggest factor, at a 33% rate, and BLS is reporting inflation of 5.0% for that, so that’s going to limit how high aggregate inflation is going to be.

3 Likes

Thanks.

Rents, etc. are only up 5%? And food is up less than 10%?

Am I in bizarro world?

1 Like

How did you determine that? I’m pretty sure we paid for those wars the same way we paid for the stimmy checks.

1 Like