The Tipping Point

I agree. I wouldn’t deal for $15/hr and I’d imagine all of the other really good dealers would say the same thing. Quality of work in tipped positions across the board would plummet if it was changed to a flat $15/hr imo.

3 Likes

In Alberta dealers tips are pooled and shared which eliminates the only supposed value of tips. They are theoretically suppose to reward the good and fast dealers but when you pool there is no incentive to be good or fast. It’s so dumb.

If the tipping custom has evolved to actually pay tipped employees closer to what they’re worth -vs- comparable non-tipped employees, then the tipping custom has evolved into still another way of suppressing the wages of all the workers, and especially the non-tipped employees.

It’s the classic divide and suppress prisoners dilemma that permeates everything capitalism.

Like say: under segregating, white workers are paid 90%, and black workers are paid 60%. But the white workers fear of being suppressed down to 60%… which can delude them into not making common cause with the their fellow black workers so they all can get to 100%.

Is the same situation as: all the workers are paid 60%, but the front-of-house workers are allowed to hustle tips which bring them up to 90%. But the front-of-house workers fear being suppressed down to 60% by not being allowed to hustle tips… which can delude them into not making common cause with the back-of-house fellow workers so they all can get up to 100%.

Once again, under worker control, none of this is an issue at all.

1 Like

A better custom would be this: the people who actually do the work get 100% of the sales, and absentee owners are dependent 100% on customer tips.

Like, you go to Olive Garden, and after your meal, you have the option of making a non-tax deductible donation to the absentee shareholders of Darden Restaurants Inc.

1 Like

Ok this post confirms it for me. You are purposely being a parody. Well done. I’m finally in on the joke. Took me too long to get it.

That’s twice recently you made this mistake. You must be using the word ‘parody’ different than is common below (the other) CA.

par·o·dy /ˈperədē/ noun

1. an imitation of the style of a particular writer, artist, or genre with deliberate exaggeration for comic effect.

SMH. I though you had me on ignore. Would you like me to try to induce you to do so?

For example, there’s a California sandwich chain called Ike’s Love and Sandwiches and some of the shops have an “optional” $.50 surcharge to cover employee insurance costs. I guess $10+ a sandwich isn’t quite enough to pay all their expenses.

Free bag of chips if you check in on Yelp, though.

3 Likes

Can’t respect a shop that’s not using corned beef or pastrami for a Reuben. Call it something else, damnit.

3 Likes

It’s worse than that. That sandwich contains at most one of the defining elements of a Reuben: rye bread. Slaw is not sauerkraut, no cheese at all, no Russian dressing.

1 Like

It’s even worse than that. It looks like the cheese is american. WTF?

ETA: you might have known that which is why you said no cheese at all. Processed cheese food.

lol, oops totally just whiffed on seeing that. Ike’s actually has great sandwiches, but that is no Reuben.

god I hate this about living out west. Vast majority of sandwich places sell a “Rueben” made with pastrami. Fuck you. No. That’s not a Rueben, that’s a Rachel. GTFO with your pastrami sandwich.*

Probably has something to do with the fact that are literally zero good delis in the entire state of California. Don’t even try to find a decent bagel out here. HA!

Fuck Utah especially…they don’t seem to even know what corned beef is. In the entire state.

*I like pastrami. I like Ruebens more.

I thought the Rachel was made with turkey?

I can tell you this: We do Reubens for Hanukkah with pastrami and holy shit is it good.

Rachel is pastrami or turkey, with either sauerkraut or coleslaw. A true Rueben is corned beef.

I am serious about my sandwiches

I will die on the hill that a Rachel is made with turkey.

A reuben is indeed traditionally made with corned beef, but pastrami is close enough to corned beef to make it through the cut.

Dunno. When I walk into a shop and they have a Rueben, it better be with corned beef, or I’m ordering something else. It’s an expectation thing for me, lol.

Pretty sure the turkey sandwich is Monica’s, not Rachel.

3 Likes

This place is pretty legit:

Katz’s would like a word

1 Like

I wasn’t attempting to compare it to any other place. In absolute terms it’s good and you can get a good pastrami or corned beef sandwich there.