The Television Streaming Thread: Part III

I think he might have gotten a few bucks when weezer used his photo as an album cover

I think with todayā€™s ozempic technology, it would have been really interesting to watch a dude lose 200lbs while heā€™s stranded on a deserted island

1 Like

I canā€™t speak to why they didnā€™t have bigger careers after the show, but I also donā€™t think thatā€™s a good measure of their talent. I just know how compelling they are when theyā€™re on screen.

I mean itā€™s perfectly fair to discount the notion that success is equivalent to talent, because of course it isnā€™t. But if the whole argument amounts to ā€œtheyā€™re good at the craft because they were good on Lostā€ā€¦ehh. Naveen Andrews as Sayid popped for me. I guess that Ben guy too. Everyone else felt no better than replacement-level actors who were around to push along the script they were handed. Once the script became obviously stupid, the actors didnā€™t provide a reason to sick around.

3 Likes

I will not stand for this Jorge Garcia slander. He was charming AF and Iā€™ve liked him in the stuff heā€™s done since then.

Charm? I guess. He wasnā€™t really asked to do anything substantial that I ever saw (I donā€™t know if they ever went anywhere with making a binge-eating disorder a storyline), and I thought we were talking acting. Seemed like he was just kind of around as a fun hang. But he was good casting for what they were asking for.

1 Like

Yellowstone was great until the politics started intruding on the characters.

Edit. For example, they do a decent job setting up characters that disagree with the folksy, looking after he land, rancher way of life politics, and then just write episodes where reality convinces them that they are wrong

The first nations wife who goes from fiercely defending her land against the ranchers to being on board with the yellowstone ethos because she saw some cowboys laughing, eating burgers and looking after cows just was too much for me.

1 Like

Watching Band of Brothers for the first time. Through E2. Is it considered great simply for being an amazing WW2 re-creation? Itā€™s clearly well done, but having a hard time saying Iā€™m enjoying the viewing experience thus far.

i remember seeing david schwimmer and being like, ā€œreally? iā€™m not gonna buy Ross at all in ww2 heā€™s a paleontologist in the 1990sā€ but by the end i appreciated his character and i stopped yelling pivot at the tv

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been wanting to rewatch The Wonder Years for ages and finally started tonight (Hulu for those interested), and man oh man, that is an S-Tier pilot episode. Canā€™t believe itā€™s been damn near 40 years since it first aired.

The nostalgia might just kill me.

3 Likes

Itā€™s a great rewatch. Did it a couple of years ago. Holds up just beautifully.

Still very weird to me that the narrator is this guy.

4 Likes

Iā€™d say itā€™s amazing but I love ww2 stuff

1 Like

i think it starts picking up episode 3 and then the bastogne episode a few later is the peak

1 Like

Its an incredible series. Easy Mount Rushmore for 80s tv, 90s tv, and Dramedy Tv.

David Schwimmer is Ross forever. And probably in his next lifetime as well.

It picks up a lot after the first couple EPs imo. Itā€™s worth sticking with.

2 Likes

When you are done, highly recommend watching this. we know the interviewer. Wild Bill is priceless.

I assume you are talking about the companion Easy Company Doc that is just interviews? Watched that the other night. Absolutely great.

I was also predisposed to enjoy BoB due to liking WW2 media in general. The D-Day Ep2 was one of the best IMO. The whole series is pretty solid though, not a lot of filler. It does trade off telling a character focused story in favor of being more historically accurate covering a fairly large company. The casting choices of David Schwimmer as a mean and hardass company leader, and Peter from Office Space as a brilliant military commander, were a bit odd, but work.

2 Likes

I think Ross works pretty well in that role imo, itā€™s just hard to separate him from friends

1 Like