The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

This I didnt know but it makes the unbelievably strong writing in Blue Eye Samurai make a lot of sense.

“Created by husband-and-wife team Michael Green (who wrote Logan and Blade Runner 2049) and Amber Noizumi”

3 Likes

Welp looks like I’ll be watching this one for sure.

I’m 2 episodes in and it’s incredible. My god

1 Like

2nd epsiode really hooked me ( especially the fight on the cliffside) but ep 5 currently will be my favorite of the season (unless something happens in the last two that floors me)

And this week’s episode was…not.

WTF was that? Best thing about it was the Boygenius performance and even that had sound mixing problems. Pretty much everything else was terrible.

Didn’t see it, I record all of them so I may not watch at all. Thanks.

Invincible from a guy who (somehow) read all the comics years ago

Zero chance this show doesn’t go completely off the rails with the way the showrunner is planning on doing it. Simmons really has another 8+ seasons of this show? I’m assuming S2 ends with reveal of his return and Mark’s half-brother. After which Omniman is more or less there the whole time IIRC. IMO the only interesting thing in this show is the main viltrumite storyline of which it does typical soap opera stuff of only visiting it a couple times per “season”. I snored through it waiting for Nolan and the rest to show up, and a lot of is um early 2000s stuff that wouldn’t really fly too well today i.e. main characters weight gain and then magic weight loss etc etc.

I’ll check it out again in 10 years when there’s a supercut of only viltrumite stuff and to laugh at presumably Freddy Mercury’s 2nd cousin’s child casting for the voice actor for Thragg.

Watched five minutes. Dialog made it unwatchable. Switched language to Japanese. Now it has potential.

For non-Japanese speakers, I’d recommend switching to Japanese audio & English subtitles for a more authentic viewing experience.

Im pretty sure it was created natively in English. I can try Japanese dub with English sub afterward, but Im quite sure the dialogue is native English and would thus be authentic to the source.

1 Like

Finished this and give it my highest recommendation. It’s subversive, aggressively feminist, and hilarious. Surprised I haven’t heard more about it.

1 Like

This seems really weird if what CanadaMatt says is true (which is what I thought was the case).

I realize it was created natively in English, but it is an anime that takes place in Japan with Japanese characters. So for me, it has a much more realistic feel watching it in Japanese (and the translation–at least what I’ve seen so far–feels completely natural).

Conversely, Last Samurai or Tokyo Vice type productions, where it takes place in Japan but everyone unnaturally speaks English–I just cant.

No way with that voice acting cast I’m gonna switch it so I can read instead. Maybe on 2nd viewing

1 Like

Feels like the majority of dialogue in Toyko Vice was in Japanese? Was definitely not a show you could watch and do other stuff at the same time for me

Interesting interview with the creators. Some spoilery talk.

It does touch on how this isnt really an anime but a mixture of eastern and western animation styles.

1 Like

Not from my perspective. Jake, who should be (and actually was) a perfectly fluent speaker, speaks English in all sorts of situations where 100% of the time Japanese would be spoken (to his Japanese bosses, colleagues, cops, yakuza, etc. etc.), which largely ruined the experience for me.

https://twitter.com/EmmaTolkin/status/1721978493150638393

3 Likes

I’m in for it

https://twitter.com/agentbizzle/status/1722019329607451049

Ok, what am I doing wrong, why arent these embedding?

2 Likes

It feels like there’s some sort of irresistible force vs. immovable object shit going on here, because on one hand a person made a post with one of those goddamn siren emojis, but then on the other hand they promised an important Nathan Fielder story.

I clicked, of course. But I took a beat and sighed at the siren first.

1 Like