The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

Finally watched Obi-Wan

In order to find it entertaining, you have to accept that these shows are really intended for children who arenā€™t going to think too hard about contradictions with other parts of the story. The whole saga has tons of pieces that really just donā€™t fit together if you spend a few seconds thinking about them.

The most WTF part of it all is Obi-Wan not killing Anakin again. That part is actually believable in the context of the entire story, Iā€™m just pissed that he didnā€™t do it and makes me like and respect him a lot less.

All the suffering that Vader causes in the universe after that is on you, Obi-Wan. And you are definitely smart enough to know this.

2 Likes

A second on Chernobyl

1 Like

chernobyl is outstanding

it pissed the russians off so you know itā€™s probably closer to reality than not

1 Like

HARD second to all of these.

plus Show Me A Hero is a little-known hbo miniseries that i loved. and The Young Pope is among my all-time favorites. also The Larry Sanders Show is on there and very enjoyable. Donā€™t forget about Curb Your Enthusiasm and Veep either.

1 Like

This is a good somewhat obscure recommendation. We really liked it.

1 Like

The Leftovers.
Watchmen.

3 Likes

Fraggle Rock

Sesame Street. You have 50 some odd seasons. Better get to work

On a side note Sesame Street is a pretty enjoyable watch with the kids in the morning before school. Better than most things.

1 Like

Old-school Sesame Street was pretty savvy about throwing in gags just for the adults to laugh at.

1 Like

The Boysā€™ Herogasm was not exactly what I was expecting based on the pre-episode hype, but still, wow.

Ended up cutting the cord and signing up for YouTube TV for live cables and Ooma for VOIP on my former landline number. Bought a couple Roku devices to consolidate the streaming interface.

So far Iā€™m pretty happy. YouTube TV may end up being overkill. Lucky itā€™s month-to-month, so I can always downsize to a skinnier option.

The Roku channel has a surprising amount of free live and on demand content. Currently watching Columbo with limited ads. They might pull his badge if he doesnā€™t get to the shooting range on time!

Whatā€™s this, now

Remains the most insane take ever posted on this forum, and possibly the entire internet.

Iā€™m glad Ewan exists, but man Kenobi was pretty awful. Stop trying to retcon everything. Set a story in KOTOR. Or thousands of years in the future (Discovery>>> Disney Wars). Buying up all this tent pole IP so you can churn out repetitive, safe, mind-numbing CGI drivel is such a bore. I mean not as boring as Breaking Bad, but still.

4 Likes

Everything forever is going to have to be centered around a Skywalker and itā€™s just kind of boring.

Hey! Some series are set before TOS. And some are set before the new trilogy! Thatā€™s variety!

Like Iā€™m not some gigantic star wars nerd but I really enjoyed Falllen Order as 1 of the 2 video games I play each year and Rogue one. Original(ish) stories executed well!

Re Obi Wan

Ben refused to kill a genocidal maniac then went straight to Alderaan to visit his friends. Fucking lol

And he even said ā€œone of us must dieā€ right before said battle and then during the battle realizes that his old apprentice and friend is completely gone and all that is left is a genocidal maniac, which should have made it trivially easy to kill him off.

Oh well, at least the series wasnā€™t boring.

The Bear is the best thing I have watched since Severance.

3 Likes

Hot take alert but not liking any of those shows is fine. The sopranos is entertaining and hilarious and if itā€™s someoneā€™s favorite show that is perfectly fine. I like it. As ā€œartā€ itā€™s relentlessly nihilistic and has nothing important to say about anything.

3 Likes