The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

Put me on team “Obi-Wan was just OK.” It was a fine story and had some good moments. The biggest problem with doing prequels is character development. It’s hard. You can try to tell a story without a linear timeline, but character development happens linearly regardless of show timeline. So they’ve added a lot of depth to these characters that just aren’t there in the OT now. The prequel trilogies were fine in that they were pretty much all new characters.

Maybe I’m noticing these more in that I’m re-watching Breaking Bad and a lot of the Saul stuff just really falls flat now given everything we’ve learned about him from BCS. He was a mostly 1 dimensional character in BB so all the stuff that happened in 5+ seasons of BCS just isn’t there and feels really off.

That’s why I think some of the best star wars content contains mostly new characters. Mandalorian, Rogue One, etc. The sequel trilogies were good for this as well, they just completely fucked the stories there.

2 Likes

Are there lots of pay phones in New York City? In Law and Order Organized Crime, in three different episodes, three different people used three different payphones in 2022.

I’m pretty sure the last working payphone was removed from NYC this year.

Yeah, here is an NPR story from May

1 Like

This is patently untrue with regards to anything made after the Disney buyout. The old EU is no longer canon. Clone Wars, Rebels, the Bad Batch, any books, games, and most of the comics that are made now are canon. They are even referenced and relied on in the live action stuff.

For example, Knowing Bo-Katan’s backstory makes Mando season 2 and the upcoming season 3 SO much deeper and more interesting. That’s all from Clone wars and Rebels, though.

The recent obi-wan vs Vader fight is a DIRECT parallel to a fight between Ahsoka and Vader in Rebels.

Finally, Dave Filoni is the executive creative director at Lucas film. Before that, he was head of animation and is George Lucas’s protege.

Animation is not some lower form of storytelling.

Order 66 is the defining moment of this whole era of Star Wars. When you first saw a new hope, you’re telling me you had absolutely no interest in how the Empire rose to power? Where these characters came from? I don’t know how to respond to that :woman_shrugging:

Here’s a kind of cute/interesting follow up to that article:

1 Like

Me too. It’s my favorite genre.

i think i was soured on stranger things new episodes because i know now that they wasted all of netflix’s money that should be going to the new 3 body problem adaptation

now every time i watch new netflix content i’m worried that they’re gonna make 3 body problem shitty by cutting what needs to be a gigantic budget. and even worse, the reason they made 3 body problem bad is so they could make this new season of stranger things that’s a 3 bagger at best

2 Likes

I don’t get what this means, it’s a parrallel fight with different characters?

Yeah but if the answers suck then it’s not like I want layers upon layers of additional backstory on top of it. Lucas didnt tell a very good story to try to answer these, so in the same way that people aren’t clamoring for a jar-jar binks spinoff or a deep dive into how midiclorians work I don’t care about order 66 which was the absolute laziest way he could have answered the questions you mention.

1 Like

Just finished 1883 and like many others here loved it. I get why you found it corny though, it’s a balancing act. I thought the dialogue was mostly very well-written as well as Elsa’s voiceover, but I’m predisposed towards flowery language. Easy to see how you’d find it too much.

Bonus: wife also loved it despite her inherent dislike of anything western. Small wonder though.

It’s a fight that has a lot of similarities. Maybe I should have used “callback” instead.

I didn’t like the prequels. But after watching the clone wars, Revenge of the Sith turned into a much better story. Yes, they should have put that context in the movies, maybe? Not sure how they could have because it is such a deep dive that takes place over three years.

The movies alone trivialize Anakin’s fall, implying that it was all about Padme and kind of came out of the blue. The Clone Wars shows that it was much deeper than that.

I can’t make you watch them, but as a prequels skeptic myself, they definitely made those movies a little less terrible. Not to mention gives tons of content and backstory to the new shows (Mandalorian, etc)

Two eps in and haha, the Korean version of Money Heist is great. tbh I got bored with the original but this version is much more tightly scripted and the k-drama visual style works really well for a heist drama. @ggoreo have you seen this yet?

OK, now I just have to convince the wife and I’m in. She likes Asian dramas but is only lukewarm on the heist genre, so it’s gonna take a bit of work.

One of her common criticisms of me is that I will watch any heist movie/show no matter how terrible it is. While I’d dispute that as written, it’s not that far from the truth.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a heist film I didn’t enjoy at some level. Off the top of my head I can’t think of a bad heist movie, actually.

1 Like

I’ve got HBO Max for one month. What should I watch?

New suicide squad, Harley Quinn cartoon series, Close Enough, Friends

1 Like

Barry

2 Likes

Check out the TCM hub. They have a lot of classics and foreign films.

1 Like

Our Flag Means Death. Also Chernobyl if you’ve never seen it.

2 Likes

This question and the subsequent answers made me realize there’s a LOT on HBO Max.

Euphoria
Industry
Succession
Station Eleven
The White Lotus
The Righteous Gemstones
Peacemaker
Winning Time
We Own This City

And that’s leaving out a bunch I haven’t watched but I know other people like.

3 Likes

The Wire

2 Likes