The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

Would not at all be surprised to see if the forest chase scene from obi wan ep 1 is a massive meme for years to come. One of the cheapest, stupidest things I’ve ever seen. And what in the world is this Leia casting? She looks 6 and is supposed to be 10? I mean adult teeth come in between 6-7 and she’s toothy AF. They couldn’t find any 10 year old kids to play a 10 year old?

2 Likes

Lol Amazon. Absolutely no media for this until I saw that it was already out.

I’m going to watch this but the trailer feels like they really should have just had a one and done. The story really was perfect for a one season arc

According to the interwebs, she is 9. So prolly 8 when filmed.

Trying to get an extra a couple of seasons before puberty hits?

This is probably a smart play. Helps avoid the Stranger Things problem.

It’s a limited series! And even if it’s a massive hit (it won’t be) and they bring it back for an even more far fetched season 2 who cares if they’re in puberty?

Honestly at this rate I could totally see Disney doing a remake of ep IV and then “fixing” the massive plot holes/exposition.

They’re keeping in-universe genetic continuity. She’ll age ten years while everybody else ages two, just like her father.

Stranger Things episode 5. Felt like the editing was different in this one. Kept switching between subplots during super tense moments.

Also, no dlk was a huge negative. He really adds a certain “je ne sais quoi”

1 Like

Finished the current episodes of Stranger Things. Looking forward to the rest. It’s really good.

Episode 7 is 100 minutes, which is maybe a tad too long, but it’s good, so it doesn’t feel like a slog. This season has featured a lot of cool camera work and style.

Still waiting to see if dlk9s jr makes the cut.

A couple things SPOILERS DO NOT READ UNTIL AFTER YOU FINISH ALL THE EPISODES:

1. Hopper really handles himself well on fucked up feet.

2. I accidentally saw a spoiler regarding Vecna’s identity (all I was doing was looking up who the actor was, fucking internet), but it was still interesting to see how we get to that point and there were still things I didn’t see coming.

3. Probably could have shortened the big reveal a little to make it actually hit harder, but it does go back and uncover a lot of Eleven’s and the Upside Down’s lore, so that was still cool.

4. dlk9s jr had really long hair when he filmed his scene last year. Now he has a buzz cut, so we were sitting there lamenting that he wasn’t one of the lab kids (though most of them seemed like actual “actors,” and I would imagine I wouldn’t let him take off school for the amount of time they would’ve needed).

The weirdest thing about Stranger Things is how they have some characters who look 12 and then other characters who look 30 all going to high school together.

Not television, but Good Fellas and No Country For Old Men are on HBOMax.

Oh shit, my wife just reminded me that the Duffer Brothers said there will be a Season 5 of Stranger Things. Well, this season has been really good, so despite the kids getting older, another season will probably be solid.

Yeah I think they said they plan on five seasons, or at least they have a story that will take five seasons to tell

Love Death + Robots

9/10

If TV allows for ultra long complex storylines something needs to be said for its polar opposite, the short. It does take a real skill to tell a story in 10 to 15 minutes and when it’s done right it can be nice

Love and Death fills that niche. The stories hit it out of the park more times there are duds and the wide range of animation adds variety. The stories range form Sci fi to horror. Some are serious and some are whimsical.

3 Likes

Have you seen Oats Studios on Netflix?

1 Like

that’s how i remember hs. some kids looked 12, others 30.

1 Like

I agree, some of them I don’t like but that’s part of the experience. The “experimental” nature results in big wins and some misses.

The three robots on tourist trips to post-apocalyptic humanity are pretty funny.

I thought the only ones who really looked out of place in Stranger Things were the captain of the basketball team and a couple of the D&D club members. The rest of the older actors looked like they could be 18 or 19.

It’s not like older actors playing high school is a new thing.

This is true. In fact, the vast majority of the time extras are cast to portray high schoolers, they have to be 18 or older (I’m sure you know this, just saying it for those who might find it interesting). They use the phrase 18TLY, or “18 to look younger.”

It’s certainly different with actual, primary actors, but like you said, it’s not unusual to cast older actors for youth roles.

https://www.salon.com/2021/08/21/oldest-actors-teenagers-tv-shows/

1 Like