The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

Changing your mind yet?

BCS

Dueling Saul/Kim and Howard plots have me really really excited.

Something very very terrible is going to happen because of it and I cant wait to find out what.

Episode 5 hasnā€™t appeared on Netflix where I am. So, I canā€™t answer whatever this post is just yet.

1 Like

Iā€™m usually pretty good about giving a show multiple episodes but I also pick my spots and donā€™t just watch any random trash. I just gave Station 11 4 episodes but really disliked it, doubt Iā€™ll ever finish that one

1 Like

We OwnThis City E3

I instantly recognized Dukie and my goodness did it make me feel old.

Finished Slow horses and I liked it.

Watched ā€œThe outlawsā€ from BBC with Christopher Walken as well. Enjoyed it as well.

House of the Dragon trailer looks sick

Pretty hard to get excited about this after the thud landing of Game of Thrones.

5 Likes

Iā€™m more excited about what

Lalo is going to do than the Jimmy/Howard duel. What throws me off is how did Lalo leave Mexico for Germany without setting off any alarms. I mean the guy skipped bail and faked his own death then left for Germany without anybody noticing. Hell, the guy didnā€™t even change his appearance. It feels like they skipped a lot there.

Honestly, I think Mikeā€™s men following Kim are gonna cross Howardā€™s PI following Saul and their worlds will collide in some way. Maybe a firefight where Kim gets killed. I also wonder if Lalo ever leaves Germany alive. But if he does, he probably end up under the meth lab given Gus counting the paces from the lights to where he hides his gun.

Not made by those two turds who did GOT though so Iā€™m cautiously optimistic.

2 or 3 episodes into Tokyo Vice and Iā€™m really enjoying it

1 Like

I think you may have missed a lot of the show if this was your takeaway.

This is why Iā€™m not really a first adapter. I sort of wait around until a show has good reviews and hype and then I jump in. For the most part I havenā€™t been let down.

Of the shows skydiver mentioned I thought Sopranoā€™s was the weakest. Iā€™m guessing this one was lifted up by being one of the first big HBO/premium series that could do stuff network TV couldnā€™t. It wasnā€™t bad but a lot of the series felt lazily written and unfinished.

I can see if you donā€™t like the crime drama genre that all of those shows fit into. The Sopranos has itā€™s above mentioned issues, Breaking Bad and especially BCS can be painstakingly slow at times and I can see how they arenā€™t everyoneā€™s cup of tea, but I will not here a negative phrase about The Wire. That one truly stands alone among the GOATs.

1 Like

I loved The Wire, but it is by far the slowest, least interesting, and most complicated in terms of number of characters out of the top tier prestige dramas (Sopranos, Breaking Bad, etc.) at the start.

Thank you for qualifying this as ā€œone ofā€. I feel like Oz doesnā€™t get nearly enough respect when people talk about ground breaking serial dramas, and it hit HBO 2 years before the Sopranos.

1 Like

i-feel-like-im-taking-crazy-pills

4 Likes

I never thought that Ozark was that good to begin with, and after the first half of the final season the plot was already soaring high above the shark. So, given the state of my expectations I actually somewhat enjoyed the final episodes.

I donā€™t read reviews at all, for exactly the reasons Iā€™ve stated. The ā€œcritically acclaimedā€ shows are often downers, and the stuff I like tends to hit around the 80-85% area on Rotten Tomatoes. Or they are 70% from critics and 90% from fans.

I watch things that look interesting from the trailers/premise, or if they are based on something Iā€™ve read, or sometimes even if they have an actor that I really enjoy.

I know it seems inconsistent, but I loved Justified, Deadwood, and Narcos, but I canā€™t put my finger on why those stand out from other premium shows for me.

Iā€™m lying. the first two: Timothy Olyphant. Narcos because a friend was the real life partner of one of the main characters before the new one came along. But even that couldnā€™t keep me interested if the show didnā€™t have something else to it.

Saw the first two episodes of Succession on the plane ride home and totally get the hype.

1 Like

A couple of weeks ago we binged the entire season of Mare of Easttown on a flight from Europe. That was a lot of TV to watch in one go!

1 Like

Just finished this one.

Kate Winslet is amazing.