The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

VPNs though

They used to crack down on people who were heavily sharing, but I havenā€™t seen any stories about that in years so no idea if itā€™s still happening. What does happen is you get the sternly worded email from your ISP if youā€™re not using a VPN. If you ignore those emailsā€¦ idk, they cancel your account probably?

The attitude of the various studios seems to be that theyā€™re fine with a little bit of piracy, but when it becomes so easy that everybody starts doing it they turn the screws a bit. With torrents the line seems to be open sharing is too far, but the number of people with VPNā€™s is low enough they donā€™t care. With Usenet the line was non-obfuscated file names and public indexers that made 1 click downloads trivially easy for awhile, but now itā€™s a harder again and you need to know what youā€™re doing to find anything.

1 Like

Have been binging BCS so I can watch season 6. Left off mid season 3, through s5 now. End of s5 was great. Really looking forward to getting into s6 now.

1 Like

I got once a letter by a lawyer for downloading. I googled about it and sent back a declaration to cease and desist and never paid anything. Also never heard anything back from him. A bit later I got a letter from justice were they informed me that they dropped the lawsuit because of insignificance.

IIRC back in the old days of Napster some woman got hit with an absolutely ridiculous fine for downloading Metallica albums and that discouraged companies from really trying to crack down hard on individual pirates.

Buy a laptop?

Thatā€™s kind of an expensive way to save $5/month.

Also wouldnā€™t you have to do that once a year to keep it going? I donā€™t go through laptops that fast.

Apple TV is probably worth a $5 charge for one month if you havenā€™t watched it. I barely watched it when I had my free 18 months, but I am going to set up a month soon just to binge. Might do hbomax first though. That might be harder to get done in a month.

Yeah, thatā€™s my current approach. Wait for show that I want to see to be fully available. Binge for $5.

I have my AppleTV+ through my cell phone company. Certain T-Mobile and Sprint subscribers can get a free year. Itā€™s based on the type of plan you have, but as long as you have one of the eligible plans, you can get a free year even if you donā€™t have an iPhone and regardless of whether youā€™ve already subscribed to AppleTV+ in the past.

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/offers/t-mobile-apple-tv-on-us

Iā€™m morbidly curious to learn more about the decision-making process behind Netflix committing itself to multiple live-action anime remakes that absolutely no one asked for. I mean, they definitely put decent money into making shows with solid production values even though it was clear from the start they would flop.

FFS please tell me they are done.

I donā€™t see how they can stop until they do live-action Evangelion.

Good lord what else do they have in the pipe right now?

Iā€™m not really counting series that got live action films ie Bleach and Full Metal Alchemist. Iā€™m a pretty big fan of Dragonball and have no interest in watching the individual films.

If anything, the Bleach film gives tiny hope that live action Akira wont be a complete shitwreck effects wise. Thatā€™s about all you can really hope for imo.

Oh yeah, forgot about Death Note. Sounds pretty bad. How do you frick that one up?

Rurouni Kenshin sounds good.

Wait, theyā€™re doing Akira? lol, what is going on at Netflix HQ? Who thinks thatā€™s going to be a hit?

Iā€™ve seen it bandied about in various places over the past decade.

Akira is the holy grail of anime so I assume it still gets done but Iā€™m not up to date.

ETA: Must have been pushed back.

For Taika, Iā€™m quite enjoying our flag means death.

2 Likes

Hmmmm. If anyone can conceivably pull off live-action Akira, itā€™s Waititi.

Assuming this film actually gets released, they should run the OG Akira in theaters for a month as pre hype.

Imagine seeing it in IMAX.

I will say the multiple delays and Taika using the manga as the source material over the actual film bodes well.

I havenā€™t actually read the original manga. Iā€™ve been saving it.

On another semi related note HBO now has the OG Watchmen in telegraphic novel form. Iā€™ve always felt it shared alot in common with Akira.