The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

Mike? Superman or not?

I never liked that ending for Mike. If he had to get got, Walt getting him that way was pretty lame. What he deserved was Walt planning some crazy scheme like he did for Gus

BB/BCS

[spoiler]Walt’s ending always annoyed me more. He destroys an entire compound of Nazis, who all happened to be in the same room, with a homemade machine gun robot.

Hes not a fucking engineer, hes a fucking chemist. How the fuck did he learn to make a robot in such short time? How does he get lucky enough to have every single adversarial nazi at the same place at the same time. Where the fuck are the guards and why don’t they come running when the machine gun robot goes off? [/spoiler]

Severance

Lot of great stuff here. I was less annoyed by episodes 2-6 than a lot of people seemed to be. I was enthralled basically the entire time. Defiant Jazz and the entire MDE might be my favorite few minutes of a show in the past decade, the Helly reveal and Mark’s wife reveal both were literal jaw drop moments for me. The Turturo/Walken relationship makes every part of me happy, any time Patricia Arquette punctuates something with her insane laugh just gets me to my core. Milchick and Dylan are amazing characters. The innies finding Ricken’s inane ramblings to be the height of inspiration was endlessly funny to me. My wife pointed out that Helly’s actress has a similar speaking style to Melissa Villasenor, and now I can’t get it out of my head.

10/10. The stuff that some find boring was great to me. Highly recommended.

Arcane, Severance, and the final season of BCS in the same 12 month period has been amazing.

6 Likes

I wonder how much a rewatch is needed to really feel Skyler’s plight. I was in the “slightly annoying but certainly a victim of Walt” camp in my first watch, but each subsequent rewatch peels further back just how tragic her character is, especially in S3. He obviously gaslights her for all of the first two seasons, but that moves into mental torture in S3 after he reveals what he does to make his money. From that point on she is a husk who is just waiting for the monster beside her to hurry up and fucking die already. Her conversations with the divorce lawyer are heartbreaking.

I can get feeling annoyed with her on first watch, but to ever think of her as a villain at any point in the series is really really off base. I understand the need for it, but the aborted birthday handjob/ebay sale in episode one is Gilligans biggest misstep. I get what he was going for, but it so completely shatters the male ego in one scene, that some men who watch the show never recover from it. From that point on, she is the uncaring bitch wife who will never be happy about anything ever, and some guys just can’t empathize with her following it. I’m not sure how to change it exactly, but removing that scene really goes a long way towards making her a sympathetic character instead of a villain character on first watch.

The one thing I noticed on BCS that seems relevant:

RE: Gus’s Nacho plan sucking, I feel like that was intentional. They made such a point of Gus accidentally breaking a glass, which also seemed out of character for the cold/perfect Gus we all know.

I thought Gus did that on purpose with the message being “you have to clean up your own mess.”

Hand job stuff was terrible but IFT was 1000x worse. No recovery from that.

While true, by that point she 100% had a reason to do what she did.

I’m only on episode 1 of season 6 of BCS but Kim’s plotline feels extremely cringey to me.

There’s so much that needs to be cleared up in this season that it isn’t too surprising.

I just hope that most of what’s left isn’t Kim and Saul playing pranks on Howard because it’s pretty cringey. When it comes to him, they have the maturity of teenagers. I know they’re trying to make Kim appear more devious than Saul and that she becomes the more evil of the two in the end but it isn’t working for me.

Something major is going to happen in this storyline for sure. Its not going to be anything like you think.

Starting to think we should have a separate BCS thread.

4 Likes

That seems likely, but it’s also possible that Gilligan just can’t write good roles for women. You have to go all the way back to the X-Files to find examples where he wrote for a prominent female character, and Scully had been shaped by other writers for two years before he did an episode.

Thata if we dont count Kim Wexler which would be a huge mistake.

Ted Lasso kind of losing me in the 2nd season, maybe it’s just feeling too cute. Am I the only person who does not like the Coach Beard character?

You will change your mind. What is it episode 9?

Well as a Spartan I can’t rave enough about They Call Me Magic. Watched first ep and a bit of the second. Will finish on plane tomorrow.

We’'ll see. I’ll finish it, I’m already at s2ep7

I have S1 as tv comedy gold. S2 as oh shit we weren’t actually expecting to get a second season