The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

Really disliked episode 3. Yuck

Got to set a reminder to buy my Tim Heidecker Live! tickets tomorrow, probably six bags with a Gregg reminder that it only goes up to five bags

2 Likes

Trying out Super Pumped.

Continuing in the growing trend of corporate fetishization. Ok, sure, np. Canā€™t wait for the 12 part miniseries about the rise of Netflix coming out this year on Disney Plus.

I like the actors though, especially Kyle Chandler.

First episodeā€¦ something about his sweater being not charcoal, ā€œOh, it is a dun-colored mareā€ she says. ā€œWhat?ā€ ā€œThatā€™s Salingerā€

Wait a sec. Hit pause. Where have I heard this kind of shit before? eh, nvm, donā€™t care.

20 minutes later and half a dozen arcane pop references laterā€¦ ok, thatā€™s enough, lemme seeā€¦ ah, ffs, I knew it, itā€™s these same fucking guys from Billions. Except this time itā€™s even worse somehow. Like in one episode they make an extended reference to The Untouchables movie and instead of just going with the analogy as part of w/e business plan they are talking about they actually SHOW the damn scene from the movie!!

Brian Koppelman, David Levien. Stop please.

2 Likes

Finally finished The Americans.

I think this was a difficult show to wrap up in a satisfying way, but I think they did a decent job. I wish we had got a little more definitive closure on Oleg (he really grew on me as the show progressed) but I think that we have to assume that once Philip and Elizabeth get to Arkady, that is enough for the Russian good guys to seize power and make a deal to get Oleg back.

One thing that I found weird, was Elizabethā€™s name. I actually thought it might be an issue that comes up in the show (but it didnā€™t). Almost zero Elizabeths in real life go by ā€œElizabethā€, itā€™s always Liz, Beth, Betsy, or whatever. It seems like the most Russian thing ever to go by the full Elizabeth. Even Philip gets a ā€˜Philā€™ now and then. But Elizabeth is always ā€˜Elizabethā€™.

Also, I assume that given how things unfolded in history, Paige and Henry should be able to easily visit their parents in Russia after about 10yrs or so. So, it seems like Paige and Henry staying American was probably the best move although they couldnā€™t have known it at the time. If we assume this happens and that Oleg gets back home, it seems all the Russians still alive at the end have a decently happy ending.

Iā€™m not sure Philip telling Stan of his suspicions about Renee helped anything. I think Stan was supposed to be a likeable character. And while I didnā€™t dislike him, I didnā€™t like him as much as I think I was supposed to. Iā€™m glad he let them go, but I think it should have taken more than a convo in a parking lot to do it.

3 Likes

Billions and super pumped both definitely lean into the anti hero hero in a pretty big way.

Think Wall Street. Very similar vibe. Bad is good.

When the guy first threatens her he says ā€™ consider everything you have to lose here, and as your people would say, choose the right ā€™ and the way she reacted made me raise an eyebrow because it was oddly specific way to phrase it.

Just finished the 4th ep. This is the most enjoyable espionage thing Iā€™ve seen since Patriot.

[quote=ā€œMelkerson, post:1200, topic:6988ā€]
I wish we had got a little more definitive closure on Oleg
[/quote]

He is a KGB agent that tries to recruit the protagonist in Homeland. Head canon, heā€™s the same agent. That somehow didnā€™t age.

1 Like

They need this show as well:

There is literally a thing called Slow Horses and it has not already been a UP watch party?

3 Likes

Just finished E3. Enjoying.

Random thought but Iā€™m low-key convinced that one of the writers for Raised By Wolves grew up in the Latter Day Saints, itā€™s maybe the most Mormon show Iā€™ve ever seen in terms of style and theme. The prophet dude even says ā€œThis is the placeā€ at one point, which is a Joseph Smith quote. Itā€™s not that crazy given the weird affinity Mormons have had for sci-fi/fantasy; I suspect there are quite a few fans of this in Salt Lake City.

Battlestar Galactica already did the whole stealth Mormon thing.

1 Like

Iā€™m not going to accept stealth Mormons anymore after The Expanse gave us real Mormons.

1 Like

Anyone sample Outer Range yet? (Just realized I posted in the J thread).

iā€™ve been to Hill Cumorah Pageant. the production value is off the charts. iā€™m just saying that mormons are masters of narrative and storytelling.

Have you watch RBW? I actually thought you would like it.

Nope havenā€™t seen it. Just so much good tv now. Itā€™s hard to keep up.

Final season of Better Call Saul drops on the 20th

Same for the long awaited season 2 of Russian Doll

2 Likes

Better Call Saul is tomorrow, unless itā€™s different in Euroland.