The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

I got Netflix and Criterion Channel and HBOMax, and the HBO is only a short-term thing.

1 Like

I have a VPN, which provides quite a bit of content for less than $5 a month.

3 Likes

Iā€™m probably out $30-40 per month on streamers, but itā€™s hard to tell exactly because of how some of it is packaged

• I pay for Netflix directly

• I pay for Amazon Prime, but use it for things other than just the video

• I pay for Disney+ every few months just to binge

• HBOMax and Peacock I get ā€œfreeā€ as part of my Cable/Internet/everything bundle

• Hulu is ā€œfreeā€ with my cell phone plan

• Apple TV+ I currently have as a free trial
    -Paramount I currently have because I signed up for a free trial once and they keep giving me free months whenever I try to cancel

• I have Audible b/c one of my credit cards reimburses the fee.

Itā€™s problem.

1 Like

I have paramount plus, prime, apple, Disney and I have access to a Netflix and Hulu of a family member

1 Like

I have YouTube TV and a $1/month deal for Hulu.

Anyone use Fubo? I hook up free trials a couple times a year when thereā€™s a sporting event I want to see and that + VPN gives me full access to American TV, but at about $70month damn itā€™s expensive.

Iā€™ll start using it next year as they have the PL rights in Canada starting next season.

ā€œOnlyā€ $20 a month

1 Like

Right now Iā€™m only subbed to Amazon prime and Netflix. I actually thought I unsubbed to Netflix last month but I guess I didnā€™t so I just now unsubbed.

Lately I just sub to a streaming service if there is something I want to watch and then unsub when Iā€™m done watching that. Like Iā€™ll probably sub to disney plus to watch The Obi-Wan Kenobi series when that starts and then unsub when it finishes.

Thereā€™s just too many streaming services and subscriptions to be subbed to all of them all the time.

1 Like

Yeah thatā€™s the truth. My channels subbed to change depending on what I wan5 to watch. I have a bunch of hbomax stuff to watch so I will get that soon and kill it.

I share cable with my landlord who lives upstairs. I had YouTube TV for a couple years and liked that fine, then we switched to Fubo this year because it was the only way to watch Blazer games. I HATE Fubo, especially if you want to watch NBA like me. No TNT, TBS, or NBA TV. I canā€™t run it through my Playstation because of licensing reasons, and it is the worst interface I can imagine trying to control it through my Samsung smart TV with the five buttons it utilizes. I cannot recommend it at all, but a huge soccer fan friend of mine likes it for that.

Aside from that I just signed up for Apple TV because $5/month seems like an OK deal if you watch like 1 movie a month and thereā€™s several things on there I want to watch. Also get the first 3 months free somehow because I have it running through the Playstation.

1 Like

Just signed up for an Apple TV free trial. I see everyone raving about Severance so Iā€™ll check that out. Any other recs?

Also, Iā€™ve figured out I can download shows to my iPhone, but any way to dl to a computer (not a Mac)?

DM me if you want an invite to a private b1t0rrent site that you can get everything on. Note: you must maintain ratio (keep computer on a lot) or pay them a little. And also you know be OK with stealing content from megacorps etc.

1 Like

Whatā€™s that, like free in real money?
:yum:

CODA and Ted Lasso

1 Like

Prime which we have for other reasons.

Disney+ Iā€™m on sis in laws allowed logins.

I pay for my Dads espn plus for hockey.

Apple+ free. Not sure when that runs out.

Showtime part of cable.

Will probably do another short term HBO.

1 Like

Severence E7 delivers.

4 Likes

Netflix - My kids watch this a lot.
Amazon Prime - Mostly for the free shipping, rarely watch any of their shows.
Hulu/Disney+/ESPN+ package - I want Disney+ and the others are more bonus content but I like it.
HBO Max - Free through my ATT family plan, but Iā€™d probably pay for it anyways.
Discovery+ - My wife likes reality TV, I never watch it.

I cancelled Paramount+ after the trial. I may renew it when I want to binge a series then cancel again, but not useful enough for me to stay as a regular subscriber.

1 Like

Spotify and Netflix

Iā€™m planning to get rid of Netflix soonish though. There are some new releases that Iā€™m looking forward to and then thatā€™s it.

I also get Amazon Prime for a free trial every year around Christmas.

1 Like

Netflix - watch a lot
Hulu - got for $1 a month around Black Friday - have gotten good use out of it
Amazon - I share my parentsā€™ Prime account, so Iā€™m not paying for this
Paramount+ - free year from T-Mobile - a few good things, but not enough to renew for full price
HBO/Showtime/etc - I have cable, so I get these

The two gaping holes are Apple+ and Disney+, which Iā€™m going to have to subscribe to at some point because Iā€™m missing out on too much. Especially Disney because it seems like the upcoming Doctor Strange movie is going to incorporate stuff from the shows, none of which Iā€™ve seen.

1 Like

Netflix - I keep thinking I should cancel it, but I keep it to use it at the gym (where I rarely go, so the reality is that I should cancel that also)
Prime - we mostly subscribe for fast package delivery, so for a streaming service that is just a bonus, it is pretty good
Disney+ - great for kids. Weā€™re on a friendā€™s account (otherwise I would feel bad giving them money, although that could apply to the above as well)
Mubi - great service for international arthouse type movies (but probably strictly inferior to Criterion if youā€™re in the US). One cool thing they do is add one new movie (and advertise it on the front page) each day.

Thanks for the replies about Severance. A 10 ep show that gets good by the 7th doesnā€™t sound that appealing at the moment tbh :confused:

2 Likes