The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

Boo this man. Just burned through S2, incredible show. Mad that there isn’t any more yet.

Did you all like Severance immediately ? The pilot didn’t doo much for me, but given the high praise it’s getting I’d like to watch a few more, is there a clear number of episodes where if I’m not enjoying it by that point then I never will ?

It gets more intriguing as it goes on. I would give it until episode 3.

1 Like

No. At the beginning I was no more than mildly intrigued. It is a very slow build. I’d give it as much leash as you can.

1 Like

I’d give it until ep. 5/6 b/c I gave up after 4 I think, but am gonna finish it out b/c it sounds like it gets awesome at the end.

Definitely don’t give up just b/c the first or 2nd episode didn’t wow you.

1 Like

I think I’m with imjosh. I loved the premise and thought most of S1 was incredible, then it’s just gotten increasingly bizarre towards the end of S1 and start of S2. I’m stuck on S2E2 and will eventually finish, but I was burning through S1 then hit a rut.

I just looked back at the episodes and think it was episode 7 when I was like “oh wait a minute this is going to get really good”. I almost bailed after episode 5 (goats).

1 Like

I haven’t gotten past 3. Should get 4/5/6 in while travelling later today.

If there isn’t a big payoff for the very. Slow. Burn. I will blame you all.

That’s the best part of the show!

I still hate the cinematography. I don’t know why Ridley Scott had to make every other scene with this oppressive blue filter, it gets tedious.

There is huge payoff and episodes 7 8 & 9 are awesome

1 Like

I thought around episode 4 was killing, but was in pretty early on.

The filters are a a bit heavy but they also give way to some incredible shots. That shot of the moons in the final episode is Tarkovsyesque.

I watched ep 7 of Severance last night and it was the first one where I felt like the payoff might be worth it. So I’m now looking forward to the last 2 ep’s, but the middle felt like a slog to me. Those were also the parts Ben Stiller didn’t direct, so maybe that was the reason.

2 Likes

Hopefully they can find the fun in Stranger Things again. Season 2 wasn’t great but watchable. S3 though? Such a slog. Hopper was such a piece of shit that season. He was exhausting.
And the girl who plays 11 has aged into a pretty bad actor. Her acting is all face - everything is over expressive. In hindsight, her being mute in the first season was a blessing for the show.

She was good in Enola Holmes. I think your complaint might be with how they want the character to be (awkward, still out of place even though she can talk now, etc.), rather than her acting.

That’s how I felt too.

I liked Stranger Things S3 just fine but I didn’t care for them splitting up the kids and I didn’t care for them turning Steve into “Stifler from American Wedding”

Other than that I found it quite enjoyable

How much do you guys spend on average on streaming services? I find it hard to justify subscribing to all of them so only have Netflix plus Amazon Prime.

I have Spotify, DAZN for NFL/EPL, Crave (HBO Msx Canada ver.), Prime, Netflix, Disney plus between me and the fiancé.

I dont know how much it is, but definitely too much.

1 Like