The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

Just finished Severance. Fastest I binged a show in a long time. Was really good.

1 Like

First 3 episodes of Tokyo Vice premiered. Itā€™s good.

All the actors are great and Ansel Elgort brings an odd intensity.

3 Likes

I read that the lead actor spoke not a word of Japanese prior to being cast, and after he was cast, he spent four months of intensive learning. Heard him speak during the opening press conference for the show in Japan and his Japanese sounded excellent.

4 Likes

Glad to hear it, Iā€™ve been really looking forward to this show.

The show has some confidence that the American actors can act while speaking Japanese. The American actors speak Japanese about 50% of the time. Unfortunately itā€™s not completely realistic. Thereā€™s no reason why Ken Watanabeā€™s character, a Tokyo cop, would speak English in casual conversation to Ansel Elgort, a reporter for the local newspaper in Japan even if the reporter is a foreigner, but he does do it a bit. But it is way better than other shows with Americans in foreign countries where the actor says a couple of lines in the foreign language and then everyone around them switches to English for the whole show.

Yeah, Jake was completely fluent in Japanese by the time he became a reporter so in real life itā€™s highly unlikely their conversations were in anything but Japanese.

Although Japan is full of people desperately eager to try out their abominable English on unsuspecting foreigners so who knows, maybe it really did go down that way.

I read the book version of this show many years ago, it was rather good.

Much respect to the actor learning the language, it would have been very easy to just have him learn his lines phonetically.

Anyone else find the castings for Lalo and Nacho in Better Call Saul as not very good? We are supposed to believe that these guys are part of the same universe as Tuco/Hector/The Cousins?

I donā€™t follow

I donā€™t find either actor believable as characters in the world they exist.

Iā€™m not bothered by it, but if you are, I think that Nacho is more believable in that regard. Heā€™s not part of the family, so he was raised in a different environment.

This, and they very clearly make Lalo out as the pretty boy of the clan, so im not bothered by it at all.

On rewatch he comes through as an incredibly villanous bad guy.

Bad Vegan on Netflix was a good watch. Four part true-crime-ish documentary series. I was surprised I wasnā€™t already aware of the story because itā€™s pretty wild.

She was obviously abused but not blameless. I found the navy seals lie while dude was 60+ lb overweight hilarious.

Think thatā€™s a fair assessment. Didnā€™t realize it was the actor from ep 1 until someone pointed it out to me. Iā€™ve enjoyed the season thus far but can understand people being frustrated that half the eps had nothing to do with the main plot.

1 Like

https://hypebeast.com/2022/4/bryan-cranston-aaron-paul-better-call-saul-final-season-appearance-news

3 Likes

5 Likes

i tried to watch raised by wolves s2 yesterday, made is like 30min into Ep 1 and bailed, just couldnt get into it

1 Like

Yikes, I will never be the same after watching the first two episodes of Euphoria. :worried:

edit: Binged a few more episodes. This show just seems super toxic for teenagers - they are romanticizing all sorts of horrible things ā€œThe best thing iā€™ve ever had is fentanylā€.

Honestly, this seems way worse than middle aged guys watching Tony Soprano do bad things.

Wining Time is getting better now that Jerry West isnā€™t the main character. I really like when they include random side characters like Richard Pryor.