The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

What the hell, that show owned.

I’m three episodes into Raised By Wolves and it’s A+ old-school science fiction. Strong recommendation if you liked The Expanse.

2 Likes

superuberbobWAAF

Nov '20

"Just watched If Anything Happens I Love You.

That short hit me square in the feels. Didn’t even need dialogue to make me cry. Shit I was crying just a few minutes in.

No idea how that doesn’t run away with awards in Academy Awards or any awards show. I guess a cynical person would call it Oscar bait. I call it something that was a bit too intense to watch again."

Wife and I watched this recently. Absolutely devastating. If you’re a human that doesn’t cry at it, I kinda get it, but if you’re a parent that doesnt cry you might need to do a humanity check. Holy shit.

And it did win the 2021 Academy Award for Best Animated Short.

1 Like

As well it should.

Also 100% agree with you. Its on my list of “movies Im glad I watched once and plan to never again” along with Dear Zachary

1 Like

Its funny, every time shes on screen in S1 is just objectively awful, but its really needed to get her arc across and she becomes a personal favorite later in the series.

A few more episodes into Raised By Wolves, what I’m loving so far is how effortlessly the storytelling dips into ancient mythology and religious themes. Also, the android actors are so great at inhabiting this uncanny valley space between being human and AI. What’s really frustrating is how badly this show uses digital color filtering. I know I complain about this a lot, but there are so many gorgeous landscape shots that are turned into a blue/beige soup. It’s like watching a black and white movie.

1 Like

I know Im way late to the party, but Crashing might be one of the best TV comedies ever.

Watched Moon Knight ep1 and I was about to NOPE out two minutes in when I heard the accent but I powered through. Seems like it could be pretty good.

1 Like

One of the best opening episodes of a Disney show so far.

Once you know the reason for the accent, it’s easier to excuse.

kinda half-assed reading this while listening to a work zoom and the way my brain parsed this was “north korean moon mission on NewsMax”

1 Like

Watched Louis CK’s latest special, Sorry.

And I know this will be an unpopular opinion but he’s still fucking hilarious. A creepy piece of shit but a funny, creepy piece of shit.

Just caught up with Severance, and oh boy I am entertained. This has potential to be great.

2 Likes

Appointment television for me atm. Season Finale this week.

haha, this show rules. I don’t like the Game of Thrones direction it’s taking but I’m still riveted.

So dlk9s jr is in the thick of Breaking Bad and loving it. He’s actually kind of obsessed with it, which might be a little worrisome. :slight_smile:

Wife, son, and I were watching last night and it was the big one, the episode where Gus dies. And there it is. Hector scrunches up his face, mashes the bell, Gus sees what’s happening, he yells, and BOOM, explosion.

And literally right then, right when we see the door blown out, our cable box (we were streaming via Xfinity’s Netflix app) decides to reboot. It was as if the explosion killed the cable. Timing couldn’t have been any more perfect/worse.

Fortunately, the big reveal wasn’t spoiled, so I just used the TV’s Roku app to keep going and dlk9s jr was gobsmacked.

3 Likes

dlk9s jr has since redrawn this pic:

https://twitter.com/Baileymoon15/status/1508850458084917248

https://twitter.com/AppleTVPlus/status/1511705288574836741?t=64nVVOj9gYV5_5an730huQ&s=19

3 Likes

So Louie CK whips out his dick and starts pounding away without warning when alone with many women and is not only not charged with any crime but gets to ride the “cancel culture” wave to continued wealth, fame and critical recognition. Fuck that.

Well, if I remember correctly there was always warning. Doesn’t make it better given the position he was in during those interactions, so +1 on Fuck that.