The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

Subbed as well. Hearing the Japanese is half the fun

1 Like

Subtitled from anything spoken in Japanese.

Anything portugese is just in English (not subtitles or dubbed).

To dub the Japanese would ruin much of the show. How things are translated is part of the story. From the Portuguese priest intentionally lying to Mariko softening the edges of what John says to Toronaga (and vice versa).

Iā€™ve been watching straight off broadcast on FX.

3 Likes

I watched the first episode of Sugar. There is an unusual amount of handheld shots and other directorial idiosyncrasies.

Neither.

4 Likes

3 body problem:

A wild Big Head appears!

4 Likes

I watched the series finale of Curb so I could understand the joke. Very nice, very nice.

And was motivated to finally give the whole show a watch. Iā€™ve seen the pilot a couple of times but never watched beyond there. Am on episode 4 now. The intro music is amazing lol. Hard to believe there are 12 seasons awaiting me.

Did Larry David ever look young? I guess itā€™s mostly due to his bald white haired head. He looks the exact same for the entire series.

1 Like

Nah, this is as young as he gets.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve only caught an episode here and there. Not sure I could stand to watch Cheryl Hines at high frequency. RFKjr bleh.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/austinkleon/status/1777741358272331850?t=cSLh9FaDGST9uwT7tf5sxg&s=19

they did a great bit at one point where they flashed back 10 years in the past and larry and cheryl are having dinner at a restaraunt, and cheryl looks incredible, and it turns to larry and he looks even older

3 Likes

Who wants to break the news to them that the blood, sweat, and tears put into their lifeā€™s work has been ā€œsecond-screen contentā€ this whole time? Like, these people donā€™t think anyone is actually paying attention to the House MD reruns on USA all day long do they?

Holy shit Iā€™m jealous. Enjoy

1 Like

Just ran through 9 seasons of Suits which I just couldnā€™t get enough of, and for dessert did another viewing of Firefly/Serenity. My god Firefly is so special.

Suits is great. I found that I need to balance my viewing with low stakes stuff that I donā€™t have to be totally engaged in all the time and Suits really hit the spot.

Like right now Iā€™m not past episode 2 of Shogun because I just havenā€™t been in the right head space for it and I want to be totally dialed in. Conversely, Royal Pains on Netflix is tickling my fancy currently.

3 Likes

Watched the Curb finale. Loved it. I predicted almost exactly what was going to happen once they set up the season-long plot (including the pants tent callback because I just started listening to the History of Curb podcast and was reminded that was in the first episode), but it was still really fun to watch.

1 Like

By the way, the final scene was also the last scene they filmed. Saw a short behind the scenes clip when they wrapped and Richard Lewis stood up to thank everybody for being so great to him. :cry:

Oh, also saw Jeff Garlin on The Rich Eisen Show and he said that when the cast laughs in scenes, they are really laughing. So now every time I see someone laugh, it makes me laugh more because I know that they really found whatever was being said hilarious.

Never realized until that interview and the podcast that the original HBO special, pre-series, was his idea and that he was an executive producer of every episode. He fully credits Larry David for taking the idea and making it awesome. They had no thoughts when they made the special that it would become a series.

1 Like

There are some quite young pre-Seinfeld, pre-curb pictures of Larry in this video. Looks almost unrecognisable in a few.

1 Like

It would be a shame to miss out on one of the best TV showsā€“and THE best comedyā€“ever just because of a politically charged Cheryl Hines aversion.

4 Likes

How dare you

1 Like

The Spider-Man homage in Invincible s2e8 is hilarious lol. Very nice.

Altogether Iā€™d say season two has turned out to be pretty good. Some people were not as into it, but I thought the show has been great all the way through.

2 Likes

Fallout show first ep pretty good!
Never played the games

3 Likes