The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

Interesting, as I remember The Americans’ pilot as having quite a different tone than what the series ended up being. More action-based. Less depth than the series ultimately developed. It was just a pilot though.

1 Like

https://x.com/hanfjob/status/1750563459354292291?s=20

3 Likes

Yeah, this was my experience and a pretty common one. I first saw the pilot and I was like “This is the show everyone is talking about? Why?” I was hooked after about 3 episodes but it was probably not until mid season that I began to appreciate the GOATness.

1 Like

She Hulk

8/10

This should have been bad. It’s got fourth wall breaking, witty quips, and CGI. All the hallmarks of what should have been a bland terrible Marvel series, but it’s probably one of the best. I think it’s because compared to a superhero movie, the stakes are very low. A social media nemesis, bad dating in your 30’s, work life balance. No apocalypses or giant blue CGI portals. It helps that Tatiana Maslany is so personable. Not just her though the rest of the cast comes though. I would have given it a 9/10 but the finale just didn’t do it for me. I get what they were going for with it, but it wasn’t very cathartic.

Also the actor for Daredevil is so dang charismatic. His character is a lawyer and he’s got that whip smart lawyer pat down that I 100% believe he’s a lawyer. His fighting is also the most interesting from all the Marvel people. It’s too bad Daredevil hasn’t played a bigger role in Marvel.

3 Likes

I’m glad Marvel still has some real bullets in the chamber.

Definitely more action but the kidnapping seen to tusk was amazing.

2 Likes

One thing people need to remember is when breaking bad first released it had viewership that was extremely low. Don’t hold me to this but I think the first run of the pilot got 45000 viewers.

I think breaking bad came into its own between season 1 and 2 when a lot of people caught up and watched s1 and then there was a lot of hype for s2. S1 was never really an it show at the time it aired.

Really bad (expected) BB takes itt.

1.1.1 slapped

I’m not sure if this is sacrilege, but I think it’s also fine if you have a series you’re very interested in but never going to watch to instead listen to a recap podcast or retrospective instead. It’s not just less labor of time but less mental/emotional time, so it’s less daunting a meal even if the recaps are as long as each episode.

I wouldn’t say sacrilege, but a great podcast recap about a great show that you haven’t seen feels like it will inevitably just make you want to watch the show for yourself. Or at least I’m confident that’s how I would react. I just can’t quite imagine going that route for that reason.

1 Like

Fair enough. Different reels for different feels.

This is similar to how a lot of people ingest sports now. I maybe watch 20 hours of regular season NBA but i listen to lots of podcasts and regularly check box scores and check standings and highlights.

2 Likes

how-dare-you-leslie-david-baker

2 Likes

1 Like

3 Likes

History’s Greatest Heists with Pierce Brosnan on Hulu is jus what I needed

I don’t get what people see in Nathan Fielder, but I strongly dislike reality TV, so maybe it’s just not for me. Emma Stone is amazing though.

1 Like

I don’t always watch prestige tv, but when I do I prefer to get spoiled by a podcast recap.

3 Likes