The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

Preview for season 2 of Tokyo Vice ahead of tonight’s True Detective. Starts February 6!

3 Likes

Nice, didn’t know that was starting up

The Christopher Nolan Q&A with Nathan Fielder and Benny Safdie about The Curse made it to YouTube.

3 Likes

Mercifully, we’re halfway through this iteration of True Detective. It’s so terrible on so many levels, I’m legit surprised HBO chose to air it. Between the juvenile dialog an the profoundly unoriginal storyline with the evil business/secret scientists/mystical natives/unwelcome outsiders, it’s almost enough to distract you from the wooden performances, awful set design and terrible cgi.

Couldn’t disagree more. I’m very into it. To each their own, but awful set design?

Edgy

1 Like

Cliffs plz

Doesn’t really lend itself to cliffs IMO, they’re just shooting the shit about making the show. Seems like a pretty rare example of Nathan doing a straight interview without making it into some kind of bit. Nolan is clearly an admirer. Nathan seems to just be massively respected throughout the industry and I assume his power to sell his own projects is at his personal highest level to date right now.

This predated the airing of the finale, so they don’t get into that.

1 Like

Nice ty. I can see why he’d be so respected. He delivers something like nothing else.

Ask the question.

Randomly decided to watch the series finale of Vampire Diaries. Funny how these shows about horny teenagers end up being ruminations of the meaning of life.

I wonder what’s some other good supernatural teen dramas, like Buffy or Vampire Diaries?

I like how True Detective has different settings and detectives each season, but I think they should have kept the same murderer from the first year.

3 Likes

edit: this got way tldr. cliffs: think the show looks ridiculous and that I even notice is surprising and now completely distracting.

the darkness is supposed to be disorienting, but it’s almost wholly irrelevant to the characters and the way they are operating, so it’s a contrivance that is going nowhere. it’s only noticeable when they go out of their way to wedge it into the dialogue like when skinny cop says, “it’s only the first night” when looking at the corpsicle or the waitress asks, “who’s ready for lunch” or some similar nonsense. the shot down main street Ennis that is shown repeatedly to remind us it’s dark could be virtually anywhere with snow and darkness. except that towns with permafrost don’t have glass flat paved roads with crystal clean white snow out of Santa’s north pole (except maybe in Iceland where this was actually shot). I guess you can look past many of the other exterior shots of buildings though that are almost all singular (Travis gf’s house, the birthing center with the hot tub, the creepy trailer), as if to say someone decided and was capable of building something in one of the most remote and inhospitable places on earth bc, look at that view. the motel where Jodi Foster’s boss stays is also tilting. the only thing separating you from subzero arctic winds and temps is not a single foam-filled door from Home Depot. this is what a hotel looks like in the acrtic btw:

the interior shots are also stupid. the pinnacle is that poster in the miners dorm room that everyone else noticed too (https://www.reddit.com/r/TrueDetective/comments/19cm1m8/whats_up_with_these_posters_they_look_like_ai/ ). part of the logic is that stuff is expensive and hard to come by up there, which is true, but not for young cop with his newlywed still-in-school-studying-to-be-“just”-a-nurse bride and infant who live in the lap of luxury with a fish tank and everything. maybe they’re on the take from evilcorp. Idk

the overal lack of orientation and how big the place is, is another thing. it’s just a mess imo, and that’s all before you pick apart the story.

The vast majority of people, myself included, are not paying anywhere close to this level of attention. Shows like this require me to suspend my disbelief from the get-go, and once I’ve done that I’m not really into picking anything apart.

The only thing in the show so far that really jumped out at me as strange was the immediate conclusion they all seem to jump to that the researcher who’s not in the corpsicle is 1) alive and 2) dangerous/the murderer.

1 Like

It’s fine and I enjoy it, but we are a long way from the magisterial scope of S1 and even S3 was much more than just a “fun procedural” which is how I would classify S4.

It’s better than S2 at least!

The Ted series on Peacock is pretty damn funny and the CGI of the teddy bear is among the best I’ve ever seen.

2 Likes

I started watching it and then I wondered if it is funny or I am just stupid. I will pick it back up. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Not every comedy has to be high brow. Teenage masturbation humor can be funny, too.

Or should I say teddy bear masturbation humor?

1 Like

With all the True Detective talk lately, finally began watching S1. So far it’s delivering. Is the correct play to just watch S1 and then abandon the series?

1 Like

Yes

5 Likes