The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

Yeah, I’m slowly getting sucked in to it.

I really like 1883. Somehow it pulls all my emotional strings even though I was predisposed to think it’s corny because it has Tim McGraw and Faith Hill.

Is that a prequel to yellowstone? (I dont want to google for fear of spoilers.)

Very slowly. I’m trying to like it, but not hooked yet. Still keep watching it tho. I think the 1 episode per week actually helps in this case. I might have given up on it if all had been released at once.

1 Like

Yep. I haven’t watched Yellowstone yet, but I definitely will now.

Yeah, I think it could turn out to be phenomenal or a huge disappointment depending on how the story develops. I’m sticking around till I can tell if this is something that is well thought out an makes interesting points or if it’s something that’s full of meaningless intrigue whose only pony is to keep you showing up for the next episode.

1 Like

I have now watched five and I think that was the worst episode. There are so many things that don’t make sense. The young Toni Collette could not look less like Toni Collette imo. The guy who plays Nick is extremely bad. The sex scene was perhaps the worst sex scene I’ve ever seen. I’m either going to hate watch from here or just read about what happens.

I am annoyed that paramount’s Yellowstone is not streamable on paramount plus but instead on peacock.

I feel the same way about South Park and HBO

1 Like

Is it me or has the quality of Netflix new material decreased dramatically?

3 Likes

Netflix quality continues to decline in proportion to its increasing prices.

Yeah Viacom streams almost none of their own shows on their streaming platform. I think it’s a mistake. They don’t.

Lot of box checking at Netflix these days. Maybe some really good stuff sneaks through but it’s not intentional. They are really about the quadrants and such.

This has long been an issue with longevity of shows where they are designed for maximum engagement, not maximum story telling. Most shows don’t go past three seasons because they don’t find longer series keep viewers committed to the service longer. There is another series to watch at that point that has a slightly different audience.

They want to do the bare minimum to keep as many people subscribing every month as possible. I think this drives a lot of their decisions. Again sometimes it’s amazing, other times it just seems mass produced splooge. I still like Netflix but find myself on other streamers more than I used to. I watch Hulu a lot.

CEfh

ETA my pony was in the E street band

1 Like

I saw that South Park is set to move to Paramount in 2025. They started their streaming service with almost all their big names wrapped up elsewhere

My paramount sub expired in December, but I can still watch ¯_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

Yellowstone. I’ve watched all of this and it’s pretty entertaining. But after a while you realize there is not a single likable character on the entire show. And this is not done on purpose. You are supposed to like all them *#&$-kickin’ freedom-lovin’ folks from Montana. But, every single main character on the show is reprehensible. Even the war veteran son who we are supposed to be sympathetic towards is basically a straight up gun-wielding psychopathic terror who just does whatever he feels like.

The show even appears to know this and tries to give itself outs like having the new guitar-playing ranch hand guy repeatedly say that the place is *#($ and everyone should gtfo while they can. But this is a bunch of bs as the show revels in the bad-to-terrible-to-murderous behavior of everyone. The main murdering ranch hand dude straight up grooms a child in the latest season! “lol, that’s just good ole’ Rip!”

Mayor of Kingstown is another Taylor Sheridan vehicle from last year that has Hawkeye in a prison town in Michigan (with Canadian interest in it’s co-writer Hugh Dillon and shot in Hamilton, ON and Kingston Pen as the main prison). Hawkeye is some kind of liaison between the prison authorities and the prison gangs. He keeps the peace. I thought it was pretty good, better than the reviews, but doubt it will get renewed. It’s over the top misery in every episode. … nothing wrong with that.

Before these Taylor Sheridan wrote Sicario, Hell Or High Water, and Wind River. All pretty good, right? Sure, good directors, good production, cool settings, definitely entertaining movies.

White Saviorism is a criticism of a lot of Taylor Sheridan stuff. It’s in there for sure. But the main thing is that in all of these movies and tv shows the only way characters resolve their stories is through the massive expenditure of ammunition. Every plot is capped off with a shootout. It appears to be the only way he knows how to tell a story. Maybe makes for good TV and movies but it’s not really very good storytelling after you’ve done that a couple of times.

2 Likes

so Raised by Wolves is… whatever. I can’t say its good, but I’m still watching it. However, this is the average shot:

what the actual fuck? I mean this is exactly what 50%+ of the shots/scenes looks like.

2 Likes

I finished Pieces of Her. It was terrible imo. I knew I would be mad that I watched just to see what happened. I highly recommend not watching this.

I watched episode one of DMZ on HBO Max and liked it. Not great, but very watchable. Once again I am not familiar with the source material, which seems to be an advantage in this case.

1 Like

Season 4 of Drive to Survive is fantastic.

1 Like