The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

The Curse would not fall into cringe category for me. Its a tragedy through and through with some humorous moments.

Much closer for me to Uncut Gems than Nathan for You or The Rehearsal.

4 Likes

We have been binging the shit out of it, Iā€™d definitely recommend it, especially if you played werewolf on 2p2. Iā€™ve been explaining shit to the old lady in ww terms and harshly criticizing the god awful play to her. Itā€™s hilarious how bad these people are at the game. I supposed itā€™s because they did zero research and so donā€™t have a clue what theyā€™re doing, but itā€™s really funny at times. pog would have crushed these fools bad

Iā€™ve enjoyed every version of Traitors. The British version goes HAAM. The contestants pull no punches. The American version is great but kinda watered down for commentary. Agreed that itā€™s a scream if you ever loved WW or Mafia.

1 Like

I think this was discussed before, but the Emmys having Succession nominated as a drama and The Bear as a comedy is exactly backward.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve laughed harder at moments in the curse than anything else in quite a long time.

Absolutely, Fielder is writing and is still a comedian at heart, but I would never label this show a comedy, or even a black comedy. Tragedy and drama are often made better by the humor within them. Godzilla Minus One is an exploration of the tragedy and fear of an entire nation, and there are still parts I laughed loudly at, but it isnā€™t a comedy. This show is the same way.

Or for a more apt comparison, Uncut Gems had a few really funny moments. Not a comedy.

4 Likes

Are we drawing a meaningful distinction between cringe-inducing and anxiety-inducing? Because ā€œnot really cringe; more like Uncut Gemsā€ doesnā€™t really compute for me. Uncut Gems is good, but it sure gave me significant discomfort many times.

If watching a TV show gives you anxiety, just imagine all the characters in their underwear.

4 Likes

Yeah. Its also pretty much the only show ever that Iā€™ve had to turn off halfway through and come back to it later.

1 Like

Did anyone catch the jodie foster true detective premiere yet, thoughts? Reddit not really having it lol which I wasnā€™t expecting. Poor nathā€™s brother.

I donā€™t even think heā€™s involved anymore? Anyway, I watched it. Iā€™m intrigued and looking forward to more. Solid cast, new creepy isolated setting. Iā€™m in

Yeah itā€™s great setup so far, I donā€™t know how you could dislike it unless youā€™re just not a True Detective fan in general. Jodi Foster seems perfect for the part.

1 Like

1 Like

This is the craziest RT spread I have ever seen. Came from some Reddit thread on the topic.

Heā€™s not. The tone and style is different. Jodi Foster is great. Iā€™m not sold on it yet.

I just watched the first season. Binged it over a couple of days. I really enjoyed it.

Are the other country versions available somewhere?

1 Like

International versions are all on Peacock, including UK and Aussie.

1 Like

Fans of Traitors who want a movie should watch Circle. Neat ending too.

1 Like

Agreed. The circle is good. Although I donā€™t know how many seasons I am behind.

1 Like