The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

Asher disrespected two indigenous men on their native land, and the next day some magical shit happened to him. They didn’t accept the dream catcher and he got a working man fired.

He gifted a house to a non-magical homeless squatter, and thought he was in the clear on curses. He let his guard down once and BAM, cursed.

3 Likes

I dunno, im not a huge fan of the entire series essentially being a modern day “Dont fuck with gypsies”

Binged all of the Curse today. Episodes 1-9 were great. 10 was just stupid from the get go. Honestly the very end of 9 was stupid also.

2 Likes

Not to mention she wont leave and jeopordize the tv show

Just having dougie and emma secretly trainwreck asher in hilarious fashion by hijacking the tv show would have been lightyears better. Maybe finish with a scene of dougie pounding emma while they laugh about asher’s small cock and he jerks off in the corner. I thought the point of the end of episode 9 was that asher gets off on being humilated. He was submitting as the ultimate cuck in every way there and was thrilled to be experiencing it. That’s why I think episode 10 was terrible. Think about it. Him being completely humilated by his wife in front of his long time friend and a stranger is basically asher’s ultimate fantasy. The fear in emma’s eyes was the realization she can’t get rid of him. Why would any of that make him kill himself?But yes that means the finale makes no sense. Which makes the end of episode 9 terible also.

1 Like

Ive been mulling this over most of the morning and want to get more thoughts down but im still thinking it through. I feel like I still have a valid interpretation but theres like 50 layers in just this one episode

2 Likes

To be fair I think your interpretation of episode 10 is a good one and possibly correct. It just makes no sense within the framework of the previous 9 episodes in my opinion. Although my complaint is that episode 10 doesn’t make sense regardless of how you interpret it.

1 Like

I kinda like how divisive the ending has been.

Also like your interpretation and think it reflects how trying to examine the show on a literal level is a fool’s errand. Fielder and Safdie are not telling a linear story that is necessarily consistent with anyone’s understanding of “reality,” or even what we think constitutes the reality of the show. The finale put the viewer in the middle of an exercise in metaphorical analysis and whether or not F and S are trying to say anything at all.

As an example, I think there’s room to interpret this as a commentary on reality TV/news/social media and us as its audience. Whitney is TV, trying to put on a facade of respectability and this pretend belief that their content, by virtue of its existence, is somehow important and benefits society as a whole, but in reality is nothing but ever self-serving and personally enriching (literally). Asher then might represent the TV consumer who attaches themselves to and mimics what they see in the programming with the misguided expectation that doing so makes them “decent.” Like giving the house away. But in reality, Asher, like the audience is an object of disdain and only a vehicle for Whitney/TV to get what they want. And so we, like Asher, end up dismissed and suck into a vortex that we don’t understand but ends up destroying us. Even the looky-loos who witnessed what happened to Asher are quick to deny the truth of their own eyes. Dougie can represent the content creator whose reaction at the end of the finale reflects the realization of how their work is being used and the impact their work is actually having on the world at large.

We’ll probably never know what they actually intended to say, but I hope they get the chance to say more.

4 Likes

Loving the discussion :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

2 Likes

2 Likes

the man with no mouth

I’m at he 100% actually floated away in whatever universe the show is in.

2 Likes

Though stylistically not the most obvious match, Fielder and the Safdie brothers share an interest in taking their audiences to the edge of what is comfortable and then deserting them there—whether through the how-far-can-he-go experiments of Fielder or the how-bad-can-it-get anxiety bombs of the Safdies. Fielder’s comedy of social transgression—often insufficiently referred to as “cringe”—and the Safdies’ brand of harsh, fluorescent-lit realism can at times seem as though they don’t have much in common, but both revel in the monstrosity found in everyday life—the ways in which the quotidian can unexpectedly branch off into hell.

Yet even as The Curse slips increasingly into the uncanny, the show’s true horror, as in Fielder’s and the Safdies’ previous work, lies in its commitment to depicting reality. The atmospheric cues of the horror movie may predominate, but it’s actually the strains of realism that offer the most scares: the weaponized awkwardness of the Fielder documentary, the cinema vĂ©ritĂ© hints of Good Time and Uncut Gems, the immaculate pastiche of an HGTV reality show. The Curse’s main characters are made more and more monstrous by dint of their humanity, not in spite of it.

How, then, should we understand the last episode’s anti-gravitational leap into The Twilight Zone, if its satire is so firmly rooted in the real world? We don’t need magic, after all, to see the bad and the good of the characters or even the bad and the good in ourselves. The final episode’s unexpected genre shift does, however, keep all of the answers to the show’s central mystery available: Who or what really is “the curse”?

The curse, it turns out, is not just Whitney, Asher, or Dougie but all of the conditions that create them—and we’re surrounded by them too. “It’s a Good Life” ends with Rod Serling’s customary warning: Should you one day run into a boy like Anthony, you can be sure that you’ve entered the Twilight Zone. But The Curse, despite its fantastical ending, leaves us with a far more unsettling realization: The terrors of the show are not siloed off from real life. We encounter versions of Whitney and Asher and Dougie every day, and when we do, it isn’t because we’ve just entered the Twilight Zone—it’s because we’ve always been there.

1 Like

number 1: just don’t leave the house. so simple. but alright, you don’t yet realize it’s you and not the house, so you’re in the tree now. when you’re in the tree and dougie shows up (lmao btw) he has no reason to believe a magical thing happened so you gotta prove it to him, and to the fire department most importantly.

so when the fire department comes with the ladder, okay asking for a net sounds like it makes sense, but you need to prove to them this is not normal. if he could climb under the branch and hold on from under it, i think that’s his best chance.

but he’s not trained for this, he’s not a strong man, so if he can’t position himself on the underside of the branch, he needs to grab the ladder and get himself on the underside of the ladder and climb down or at least find a position to rest.

ultimately though, it’s an impossible thing to prove once you’ve left the house. so if you ever wake up and have this happen to you, if you’ve found yourself to be cursed in this fashion, try to calm down and remember this post. be mindful where you step. don’t leave your house. your wife is a professional house designer she could design a house for an upside down husband. and living upside down for the rest of your life is pretty much perfect because it’s a great angle to view your hot wife being banged by other guys. just don’t leave your house.

5 Likes

This episode works on so many levels :hushed:

Maybe the show doesn’t really resonate with me because I don’t think it’s a realistic depction of our world and I didn’t find it anxiety inducing. I also don’t encounter people like those 3 everyday like the author seems to think we all do.

2 Likes

How strange. I felt like a lot of the characters were recognizable archetypes from all of the HGTV and similar I’ve seen. I loved the act of voyeurism and imagining these people behind the scenes from Property Hunters. Aside from character specific stuff, I felt like it also gave great insight into the production process on Nathan for You.

The cringiest stuff was the fail-daughter’s desperate attempts to virtue signal/white knight for the tribe and acquire native people in her life for clout. Surely we all know some people like that.

Ond thing I did want to mention, Fielder’s terrified acting during the limb sawing scene was top notch. You could very well feel that terror pouring out of him as he begged for his life.

3 Likes

Never liked anything cringe. N4U was kinda something I could get on with, in theory. Rehearsal made me physically sick. Guess I’ll binge Curse for science tho.