The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

Not sure if it was posted already but this is probably the best joke swap segment ever.

5 Likes

In between two eps of The Curse, I thought it might be time for me to re-try watching ā€œNathan for youā€ but nope, even though I find it hilarious, I cannot help but feel horribly bad for the ā€œreal peopleā€ involved which makes it way too painful.

Anyway Iā€™m glad Fielder branched into fiction, that way I can ā€œenjoyā€ his cringe brilliance guilt-free. Looking forward to the finale next week.

2 Likes

So it was finally time to watch The Curse. I had no idea it was on Showtime, we didnā€™t even have that app installed on our Roku. So I install that app, but it only for direct subscriptions, and I have Showtime through AT&T Uverse. To log in that way, you need Showtime Anytime. But hey guess what, Showtime Anytime has been discontinued. OK, Iā€™ll just stream from my laptop. Nope, they wonā€™t let you do that either. OK, Iā€™ll just watch Uverse, which I never do. But itā€™s not available On Demand. So currently my only options are to set my fucking Uverse up to record The Curse, which means I have to wait until all the past episodes are collected and make sure I watch them in order, or pay to subscribe to Paramount+.

To say Iā€™m frustrated would be an understatement. I guess I finally have to cancel Uverse and then subscribe to each of these fucking services individually. My wife is not great with this sort of thing so thatā€™s going to be awesome. Ugh.

1 Like

Yeah itā€™s ridiculous. Plus Paramount seems to be complete garbage or something, I always have streaming quality issues with The Curse that i donā€™t experience with any other app.

I see complaints with Paramount pretty frequently, and I guess Iā€™m lucky. Always works smoothly for me. Peacock is the only paid app I really kind of hate using.

1 Like

2 Likes

I work in the business and am more-or-less directly impacted by content piracy so I am pretty strongly against it. Although I have much less judgement for those that do than I used to. Plus, a huge part of my income comes from television commercials, so I really want traditional cable/broadcast to survive, which is one of those things that makes it SO frustrating.

With that said, I can definitely live with the argument that Iā€™ve already paid for this content and itā€™s not piracy if Iā€™m just using those sites to view it in a different way.

2 Likes

How about those fuckers that keep re-releasing music every time there is no format when most of the times itā€™s not actually different to the normal listener.

Iā€™ve paid for the same songs on vinyl, cassette, cd, mp3, etc.

1 Like

Update on this! My wife ran into the guy in question and he was wearing a t-shirt that said ā€œYes, I am the guy from Jeopardyā€. Also the guy, who is recently and acrimoniously divorced from a friend of my wifeā€™s, was in the company of a beautiful younger woman and pretended not to see my wife and walked right past her :joy:

2 Likes

Started watching a Korean show called Marry My Husband on a whim. Itā€™s about a woman with cancer married to a dirtbag who is cheating on her with her best friend. When she walks in on them her husband accidentally kills her, and she wakes up 10 years in the past. Pretty good so far.

ETA: and somehow her dead father is a magical taxi driver

1 Like

Is there a razzie for television? If so the entire ā€œVIPā€ cast of Squid Game deserves a lifetime acheivement award. It is by far the worst part of any good show ever. Mindnumbingly bad.

Did the creators really not think people would be able to understand the nuance of the bridge game without these exposition shouting garbage people explaining every step?

I give them half a pass because I think the show was aimed at a Korean audience.

Imagine if youā€™re watching a show in Engilsh and part of the plot requires a bunch of rich Koreans hanging out and betting on shit. If you donā€™t speak the language, then itā€™s hard to appreciate how ridiculous their dialogue is, even with subtitles.

It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it.

Finally broke down and binged The Curse. I have no idea what itā€™s supposed to be really (I suppose thatā€™s the point), but itā€™s oddly quite compelling and was easy to fly through 5-6 hours of content in a couple days and itā€™s not always easy for me to binge series like that. Ep. 9 was great and I canā€™t wait to see where this goes.

STILL, I have to say that I wouldā€™ve preferred that Nathan had done something more in the vein of his previous 2 projects. Whereas the other 2 are easy 10/10s, I give this one a 7/10. Still good, but we donā€™t get a ton of Nathan stuff so I feel this is a bit of a ā€œwasteā€ even though itā€™s still good.

1 Like

Agree with your general rankings, I have The Curse well below his other two projects. Itā€™s just kind of boring at this point, anyone know if itā€™s a one season show or are we getting more?

I honestly think this is intentional. Thereā€™s no way that everyone is a good actor except for everyone that happens to be in one group. I feel like itā€™s hyping up the weird perverted ultra rich foreigner trope

Sure, but that doesnt excuse the thirty minutes of exposition dump in what should be the most exciting episode of the season. The very worst part is when Han Mi-nyeo pulls Jang Deok-su to his death, one of the more shocking moments of the show, and instead of letting us sit with this or showing the perspective of the other players, we IIMMEDIATELY cut to VIP ā– ā– ā– ā–  7 so he can quip ā€œHell hath no fury like a woman scornedā€ and its like, fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck yooooooooou.

ā€œOnly two numbers left, first or last, an intriguing choiceā€

Yeah no shit, fuckwad. I HAVE EYES!

Damn I hope not.

Safdie commented on the possibility in a Variety piece:

The thing I hate about some of the streaming apps (Iā€™m thinking of the TV apps, like on Roku, not on the phone) is that their UIs are terrible. More specifically, it can be difficult to see what is highlighted on the screen.

On Disney+, for instance, I believe the highlighted selection has a white, filled-in box, but at the same time, some things on the screen have a white outline. Iā€™ve figured it out at this point, but they BOTH look highlighted, so I donā€™t know what Iā€™m about to click on until I hit the arrow buttons to move the highlight marker.

I think Hulu uses an ā€œoverlineā€ instead of an underline on the account selection screen. IIRC, itā€™s also not obvious what show or episode is highlighted in the menus.

1 Like