The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

NFW

Are you going??

Nah, it was just something posted to Reddit. Iā€™m not one of the fortunate invitees. Pairing felt super random, but people in the thread pointed out that Nolan and Safdie did just work together on Oppenheimer. Maybe weā€™re on a trajectory to Fielder entering the Nolanverse.

1 Like

PokƩmon Concierge

PokƩmon chilling at a resort run by humans.

If that sounds up your alley it is an enjoyable hour of TV. Only problem is it is just an hour.

I rewatched seasons 1-6 like ten or so years ago (the last seasons were not available to streaming due to contractual issues, but they later came out and I watched them as well.

Show held up well for me, but it was probably my favorite show when it went off the air when I was ten years old. They, like cheers, did a good job with replacing cast and still keeping the core funny.

1 Like

Is it a network or independent station? Probably a contractual issue.

Iā€™m new to the area so not 100% sure, but I donā€™t think itā€™s an affiliate for a major network. Itā€™s a free channel if you have an antenna so not sure why there would be a contractual dispute. It just really sucks. I donā€™t watch a lot of tv but I do like Jeopardy! and I donā€™t feel like running a wire for an antenna just for that

A good coda to a great episode. Olivia Coleman is such a good actress. Sheā€™s never flashy so I always vaguely remember who she is, but she herself never stands out unlike say Judi Dench or Cate Blanchett where Iā€™m like ā€œoh itā€™s Judy Dench playing somethingā€

4 Likes

At some point Olivia Colman did join the list of actors/actresses who cause me to go, ā€œOh shit, Olivia Colman!ā€ when she shows up in things. But it did take longer for her than many just because of how many understated things she takes on.

3 Likes

One of the best Oscar speeches ever:

And her best work:

2 Likes

Disagree

Edit: though numberwang is very funny

1 Like
3 Likes

Years and years ago my friends and i were big into Green Wing and olivia coleman was a noname actor and a very minor part of the show, but one friend recognized and pointed out to us how great she was. i didnā€™t even notice her on the first few viewings. But heā€™s like, ā€œtry only paying attention to herā€ and itā€™s true, she put on a masterclass of slapstick comedy on that show

1 Like

lol I totally forgot she was in fleabag. What a great show.

2 Likes

Possibly my favorite comedy ever. 12 episodes, all bangers.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure I got Fleabag. I liked it, but everyone else seems to love it like eyebooger.

2 Likes

Iā€™m the same. It was good. Phoebe Waller-Bridge is delightful. But it doesnā€™t go into any all-time lists for me.

1 Like

I personally thought A Murder at the End of.the World started strong, got iffy in the middle and finished ok. I wonder if criticisms of The OA lead them to make a show that was less ambiguous and abstract and one that was more cleanly wrapped up and literal.

It did explore some interesting modern themes. Obsession with true crime and ppl inserting themselves into it. Megalomaniac billionaires designing the future. Fears of AI running amuck.

1 Like

Olivia Colman will always be Sophie from ā€œPeep showā€ to me. You didnā€™t all see that ? Definitely #1 in the ā€œbritish cringe comedy in the first personā€ category.

Re:fleabag i agree with both sides (1st season was only pretty good, 2nd one is a masterpiece)

3 Likes

Watched this show over the last few days. Definitely very good at making you feel that !

Unfortunately id read something online that made me guess immediately who the ā€œbent head ladyā€ was going to be, but that was still a devastating moment. The actress is very good at being sad.

Iā€™ll try to catch Bly manor later this year, but Hill house has been my favorite Flanagan so far. I like the cast of Midnight mass a bit better though.

1 Like

Came to post this, itā€™s incredible to see how far her career came from those early days as a Mitchell and Webb friend

2 Likes