The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

He blew a .079, like, the very closest he could be without being legally intoxicated and hes like “oh yeah, im fine” when his BAC is probably still going up. Being that close as a guy who killed his wife drunk driving, and not understanding that he really shouldnt be driving, is kinda what makes Bennie Bennie. We are supposed to get that he hasnt learned a thing, even after his wife’s death. That he is an incredibly selfish person.

Also, I highly doubt that we are supposed to be sympathetic towards Asher. Yes, a lot of negative shit keeps falling on his head, but we’ve seen a lot of negative shit from him the past few episodes. Openly mocking and laughing at the woman losing her life savings last week, and then that vicious comeback to Bennie this week. Asher isn’t any more of a good person than any of the rest of them.

2 Likes

Thanks.

Also, just to be clear, because I don’t know for sure, does queer here mean lesbian or bisexual?

1 Like

Not even a little surprising. I always had her in my closeted book. Curious to see how she does in the new season of The Traitors.

1 Like

Thanks, I missed that he was so close to the limit, that makes much more sense now.

Parvati on the Pole may be THE peak Survivor moment.

Only know what the article says–and it didn’t specify.

It can mean either.

It may have had something to do with meeting Mae Martin.

1 Like

I agree that he’s roughly as bad a person as the others, but I disagree that they’re not trying to create some sympathy toward him anyway. They keep triple-underlining just how socially inept he is and how insecure he is about that ineptitude, which puts him at a disadvantage compared to Whitney (clearly off-putting to many, but operating with basic social functionality; also very pretty, which buys her social latitude that Asher doesn’t get) and Dougie (just as ridiculous socially as Asher, but crucially swaggering through life with a totally self-unaware level of unwarranted confidence that makes him less sympathetic). And now it seems like the other major characters are conspiring against him despite one of those characters being his spouse. I think it ultimately tugs at the same sort of emotional tendencies to sympathize with an underdog as you would usually get, while still being careful to make clear to a discerning viewer that he’s a pretty shitty dude himself. Unlike my complaint with what they’ve done recently to Whitney - having her be a fully mask-off character in recent episodes - I think this tension they’ve created with Asher is pretty smart and feels very unique.

I also think that both of Asher’s recent outbursts - yelling at the teacher of the comedy class, the over-the-top comeback to Dougie - felt perversely warranted to some extent. Felt 100% warranted toward the comedy teacher; was over the line to Dougie, but it also didn’t feel like Dougie deserved much better after he spent the whole evening repeatedly poking an emotional infant with a stick.

2 Likes

Mae Martin is non binary, so it makes sense to say queer since gay or lesbian wouldn’t apply to this relationship.

4 Likes

Thanks.

1 Like

My understanding is that queer fits anything that is not traditional heterosexual. It allows for trans/non-binary without having to need a different name for each identity or relationship.

How close am I?

1 Like

Yes, tho the nomenclature I’d use is queer fits anything that is not cis-het. I think it’s also like with saying your SO is your partner. This used to be code for queer relationships, but it’s grown deeper now to mean something deeper than just dating or even “just” married.

1 Like

Yes. The use can be for a person or a relationship.

1 Like

Based on subsequent responses, it sounds like we can’t really know this. She could have been pansexual all along. She could have known she was that way and just happened to marry a man. Everyone else may have just assumed she was heterosexual.

I imagine only she really knows.

For sure. I was just wondering if in whatever statement she made, she made it clear which it was.

The Survivor coming out party continues!

This could be a nice trip down memory lane for anyone who watched the original series:

2 Likes

When I was in high school and university in the 90s I think I watched the whole run of MASH. In the old pre-streaming days this was something I saw on TV when I got home from school, maybe on A&E?
It is a good TV show. Lot’s of cool cameos.

3 Likes

Just a few episodes left of Sopranos season six. Guess who Tony just killed omg :hushed:

2 Likes