The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

It’s very original, great writing and random stars/comedians pop up every episode. It’s our new favorite show

1 Like

Best Christmas SNL cold open I’ve seen.

3 Likes

I watched the Doctor Who Special 4 aka the Christmas Special on Disney+. It’s the first full episode with Ncuti Gatwa as the new doctor and I thought it was pretty good and that he was pretty good. Looking forward to more episodes sometime in the spring.

Just finished A Murder at the End of the World. I hadn’t really heard anything about it or even heard of it, so I went in fresh. I thought it was quite good. Has a very Agatha Christie vibe to it. Only 7 episodes so it’s an easy binge and not a lot of commitment.

1 Like

Commercials coming to Prime Video end of Jan, include movies yuck

But you get a discount right? Right?

$2.99 per month for no ads

There’s shows on prime now that supposedly have ads but I’ve never actually seen one when I watch them. Hopefully a good enough adblock works.

1 Like

Prime and Max both run ads for their own programming but i guess since they produce it it doesn’t count as a commercial ?

1 Like

I liked this too, tho I thought the identity of the killer felt both satisfying yet predictable.

Okay I just saw this email too, and it really depends for me where the ads are. I don’t mind a pre roll before the feature or episode, but if we are talking commercial breaks, I cannot stand for it. I much prefer when I’m given an option to watch a longer ad segment to then watch the feature uninterrupted.

I’ve seen Season 1. The Season with the better RT #s.

Unless Season 2 is a marked departure (somehow I doubt this with the same principals involved) in quality than I am comfortable in saying it’s likely not elite tv.

Sepinwall I know is an idiot from his other takes.

The Curse S01E08

“Does this get exhausting? Cosplaying as a good man?”
“Pfft, like you’re one to talk.”
“What’s that supposed to mean?”
“I don’t know. Ask your wife.”

I always appreciate a line so savage that I just blurt out “Jesus” out loud.

2 Likes

This is an amazing debate

One might question the idea that the most famous tv critic of all time is “an idiot”.

Good episode. I continue to feel blind as to what it’s all building toward.

I also couldn’t help but picture Safdie as a cleanshaven dad.

I don’t really spend any energy trying to predict where things are headed with shows. I just go along for the ride. Naturally my mind will randomly guess at things on occasion, but then if I’m right then I just judge the work for being something that even an unobservant viewer like me can suss out.

1 Like

I get you. I don’t even mean certain kinds of plot points. I’m fine watching trailers because I’m not looking for specific things from the movie. I take it as its own thing.

But most stories have some sort of discernable energy curve. The midpoint tends to be a kind of false victory or false defeat foreshadowing the climax. You can feel when the All is Lost moment is happening, or when your lead is having a dark night of the soul. But this show is all over the place. We’re almost at the end and I don’t think I’ll have a sense for just what it was doing until it’s all the way done.