These anime are in the top 10:

• The Apothecary Diaries
  • Spy x Family
  • Frieren
  • Jujutsu Kaisen
  • Shangri-La Grontier
1 Like

Fargo Question

In the past seasons of Fargo, there has been at least one character that was in one of the prior seasons. Have we encountered that character yet?

Anyone watching brit marlingā€™s (The OA) newest show? Iā€™m through 1.

1 Like

All caught up with it so far. Quite good. Idk if Iā€™d have watched it if my significant other hadnā€™t been into it, but Iā€™m glad Iā€™ve seen it.

1 Like

https://about.netflix.com/en/news/what-we-watched-a-netflix-engagement-report

It will never not tickle me that this was apparently a first take and Jerryā€™s genuine reaction to a joke that he hadnā€™t been spoiled on in advance.

5 Likes

Did Larry write that joke, or did Dave come up with it on the fly? Because Larry was stonefaced.

I have to think that Larry at least knew what was coming given his willingness to heckle mid-joke. That would be an unnatural improv if he was in the dark too. My guess is that Bob wrote the joke himself, but who knows.

I was reminded of that by watching the Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee where Jerry has Bob on as his guest, one of the funnier editions of that show that Iā€™ve seen.

New episodes of Reacher dropped on Prime. Loved season 1

watched first 2 episodes. Itā€™s not exactly good, but itā€™s GD entertaining. The guy is so huge I canā€™t not look

3 Likes

Iā€™m really glad how this show turned out for the actor. He played an even dumber version of Aquaman in Smallville, where his acting chops were a little questionable, but heā€™s rocking it in Reacher.

1 Like

Agreed, but his comedic chops as Thad on Blue Mountain State were fantastic. Guilty pleasure show right there

1 Like

I forgot about Blue Mountain State! So Smallville really was the outlier for him. Now I feel bad for thinking he was a bad actor.

1 Like

Latest ep of The Curse is one of the best to date IMO.

1 Like
2 Likes

Iā€™m so curious what itā€™s all building toward. Great episode.

On my first rewatch of Blue Eye Samurai, just finished episode 5. Not only is the story in this episode superb, the animation and art are stunningly, achingly beautiful.

The Bunraku show, the scene where she comes upon the prostitutes on the bridge, each colorized as a curve of the rainbow, her first trip to the mountains where we get a full 360 of the surrounding landscape. The animation on the horses, the fluidity and raw sexual tension of the fight between Mizu and Mikio, and thenā€¦ betrayal. And cut in between all this beauty and this deep aching love story, we cut back and forth to abject brutality and bloodshed. Her practice weights transforming her weapon into the weapon she learned from the one who betrayed her. It was always with her, ever since. Mama and Mikio both dying out of focus.

And the sound design, the whole backstory being underscored by the playing of the Shamisen and Hyoshigi.

A second viewing confirms what I was feeling after my first. This is an upper echelon television episode. It joins those such as Ozymandius, Chicanery, and Plan and Execution at the very top of my list. It is art.

4 Likes

Watching LA Law pilot, wondering why everyoneā€™s so sweaty