The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

I finally rewatched this episode in full tonight. I’ve felt a persistent tug to run it back basically since the first time I finished it, and despite my full confidence I’d still love it, it almost struck me as something to only bring out on special occasion. The Watch dropping an episode dedicated specifically to calling this the TV episode of the year was enough to get me to dial it back up. Really enjoyed their interview with the showrunner and with Ebon Moss-Bachrach.

I’d be inclined to give best TV episode I saw all year to S01E03 of The Last of Us, but “Forks” from The Bear brought me the most joy of any TV episode this year, so I’ve got no argument with the choice. They both made me emotional, but obviously “Forks” brought out the happier emotions. It of course holds up beautifully on rewatch, and I’ll continue to run it back when inspiration strikes.

2 Likes

“The Tale of the Ronin and the Bride” is my hands down favorite episode of the year. Nothing else came close.

1 Like

Connor’s Wedding was the best episode of the year.

Cheers, listened to that on yesterday morning’s walk. I enjoyed the interviews and insights into what made the episode so good. I also liked hearing that they had three seasons plotted when they started the show. Looking forward to the return and payoff for the three seasons seen as one.

The single negative review for The Bear on Rotten Tomatoes:

Also enjoyed Andy taking the piss out of CR for immediately telling Ebon, “there’s no real history to this award and it might just go away after this, who knows.”

1 Like

No

1 Like

I keep noticing how Slow Horses is really well shot in a way that most streaming series no longer seem to be. Reacher, for example, looks like dog shit in comparison.

As reviews of Ayo Edebiri projects go, I’m more fond of this one.

3 Likes

Awww lol that’s neat.

I’m with that guy

I tried to watch this show due to the hype on here and elsewhere, and I wish I liked it but very sincerely, The Bear s01e01 is one of the worst things I’ve seen this year.

1 Like

You should watch Blue Eye Samurai instead

I personally thought Season1 was mediocre and often grating, but apparently it got better.

I hate to be that guy but it’s sort of the point. It’s trying to be grating. Season one is filmed anxiety. For that reason I think is good but not great. Season 2 is an absolute masterpiece.

1 Like

I definitely did not love the shouting and general frenetic energy of season one of The Bear, but it was worth and it definitely intentional. There were also parts of season two that were very difficult to watch, but again it was worth it.

1 Like

That is some fucked up critic speak. It doesn’t make any sense and is meaningless as a critique.

2 Likes

I suppose the mediocre quality was the point is one way to set up improved quality.

Also, having “purpose” and intentionality to grating interactions doesn’t really do much for me. I don’t care that’s what they’re going for.

That is bad criticism. Silly to say a show that is widely acclaimed as best of class is mediocre quality. It’s fair to say you didn’t like it but in no world is it mediocre quality.

3 Likes

Seems like rank apologism really.

And I have no principled stance against things that are “difficult” to watch: Requiem was elite.

Dang well I hear you.

For me, a lot of the show resonates with my experiences with addiction and addicts. This monologue from the s1 finale is incredible.

2 Likes