The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

You’ve never seen Risky Business?!

2 Likes

I don’t disagree re: Joey Pants. That happened for me anytime they extensively used someone with a distinctive body of work with which I am familiar, including (actors who I don’t think have appeared for Risky yet spoilered) Loggia and even to some extent Buscemi.

1 Like

Never! I’m a fan of Tom Cruise from Rain Man onward. Next you’re gonna ask me about The Outsiders and then I’ll just duck.

OMG Paul Dano sighting!!!

I think Risky Business is an incredible film. Aside from Cruise and a fun crew of early career charactor actors, the direction and cinematography are outstanding.

4 Likes

Hmm okay I’ll give it a shot whenever it is streaming again.

+1

I will also add a less enthusiastic but still real endorsement of Risky Business.

2 Likes

Ms. Columbo really went for it in season 2. Producers were like: this show is tanking, we need car chases and car bomb explosions and Ted Danson and prostitution. It was the 70’s, that was how they got stuff done back then.

For those who havent been sold on Blue Eye Samurai yet but are Stephen King fans, it didnt dawn on me until my second watch, but Mizu is 100% a gunslinger

1 Like

Not helpful for the vital group of us Stephen King fans who have the correct opinion of The Dark Tower.

Looks like your campaign for everyone to watch Blue Eye Samurai worked.

10 Likes

FYYYYYEEEEEEAAHHHHHH

3 Likes

I still think it’s mid, but I’m also still watching BES. It’s the Netflix model of just barely being interesting enough to keep me watching.

1 Like

Gotcha, I didn’t realize it was the Netflix model manipulating me. Sorry, CanadaMatt, I have reassessed my opinion and BES is now simply “mid” :smirk:

Netflix has plenty of great content and plenty of algorithmic garbage. I’m not a big animation guy but BES and the new Scott Pilgrim, both on Netflix, are excellent (what’s the “mid” equivalent of excellent?)

1 Like

Eh, it’s probably a great show and I’m just cranky.

4 Likes

That’s cool. I like plenty of stuff others don’t and vice-versa. Not sure how it came across but my comment was tongue in cheek. I wouldn’t ever get angry with someone for having a different opinion on a tv show.

Seriously irritated maybe, but not angry :yum:

3 Likes

I feel like there’s a lot of praise for BES, Arcane, and Scott Pilgrim on the Netflix animation front, and rightfully so, but Castlevania and Castlevania: Nocturne don’t get mentioned around here much if at all. I’ll die on the hill that they belong in the conversation.

I havent watched, the setting isnt my cup of tea, but ill check it out on your rec

1 Like

My favorite american-made anime-style netflix exclusive with unexpectedly deep commentary on our materialist culture, featuring jude law as the protagonist’s robot butler?

Neo Yokio

5 bags

4 Likes