The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

Blue Eye Samurai

9/10

Animated show on Netflix. Successfully fuses two American genres, the well worn Wild West as Japanese samurai and the Medieval palace intrigue genres together.

7 Likes

Band of Brothers

10/10

The follow up and spiritual successor to Saving Private Ryan. Just a master class in storytelling, acting, and directing. The Bastogne episode is still on my mind

3 Likes

The Pacific

7/10

Where Band of Brothers showcases what you can do when you have the worlds best directors, producers, and artistic license to tell a story. The Pacific is what you get when you want to do a follow up mimicking the same thing but without the same talent. Missing are the interviews with the soldiers, the following of a company through the war, the storytelling and directing. Instead you kind of get separate stories, that while ok, end up just being ok as far as stories go. Not really worth a watch on its own.

Iā€™m through 3 of this and its OK, I guess? Iā€™m not an anime guy at all but isnā€™t this just a gender swapped Ninja Scroll? The invincible swordperson with no training trope is so fucking lazy. What am I missing here other than it looks cool and the sidekick is fun?

Episode 5 is one of the best episodes of anything Iā€™ve seen in a while. That being said, if the cliffside fight in ep 2 doesnt get your motor running, Im not sure what else in the show will

1 Like

She trains though

3 Likes

And she learns swordsmaking for over a decade from the best swordmaster in the country.

I need to watch Ninja Scroll.

2 Likes

Have you seen it already?

1 Like

couldnā€™t find it streaming last time I looked.

2 Likes

It picks up pace and does better story telling as the episodes go on. I do agree the invincible swordsman
and

woman who can do anything and even more than a man can

is annoying, which is why donā€™t think itā€™s amazing, but I enjoyed the story more than I thought I would. Oddly enough I enjoyed Akemiā€™s story the most

Randell Park does a great smarmy guy voice.

I heard my son on the phone with my parents, trying to convince them to watch Invincible. There is no way they will like it, but I really hope they watch the first episode because I want to hear what they think.

We finally watched S2E1 last night. Looking forward to more. Scott Pilgrim is probably next on the ā€œmom and dad watch with dlk9s jrā€ list.

2 Likes

Well you wont have any traumatizing sex scenes in Scott Pilgrim. You do get Ramona in a bra doing an arched back thing on the bed in both versions, but its quick and harmless. Anything else is innuendo.

Do not watch The Boys or any spinoffs of the Boys with Jr. if the scene in The Curse gave you pause.

2 Likes

Canadamatt:

3 Likes

Sopranos update:

On s1e6 and yā€™all indeed were not wrong. This got a LOT better.

2 Likes

Lol, yup. You just finished ā€œCollegeā€ S1 E5. The first truly great episode of the series.

2 Likes

Two episodes into The Greatest Show Never Made and I want to recommend it to yā€™all.

In the early 2000s, Reality TV as we know it was born. Set against the backdrop of a new millennium, this series follows 6 young people attempting to find fame and fortune by being part of the greatest reality TV show ever made. They left jobs, homes and partners, and in June 2002 - after a grueling audition process and months of waiting - traveled to south-east London to start their adventure. But the show didnā€™t exist. Twenty years after their dreams were shattered, the people caught up in this miss-adventure are still searching for answers; trying to understand how the fallout from ā€˜Project MS-2ā€™ - and the disappearance of the man who orchestrated it all - changed their lives forever.

Itā€™s three episodes at about 45 minutes each. Cliffhanger revelation at the end of ep2 has me eager to finish this with my SO in the evening.

Did you watch Dark or Bodies and think ā€˜hmm this is great but itā€™s a little bit too cerebral and I wish there were a couple more explosions and car chasesā€™? Then you might just love The Lazarus Project. Season 2 just started but Iā€™m just now watching season 1 and itā€™s fun. They solve the time travel paradoxes time loops and whatever by saying early in episode one (almost verbatim) ā€˜Donā€™t worry about it, what are you an astrophysicist? Just go with it.ā€™ There are definitely some interesting ideas in there though. And car chases, and lots of explosions.

Legit shocked pikachu.

I think itā€™s on youtube under a different title. I will try to dig it up this evening.

Man Im jelly.

2 Likes

For whatever reason, no oneā€™s been hosting it for a while and I donā€™t care to buy the DVDs. According to Reddit, Iā€™m not the only one trying to find it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/vzj6qo/i_cant_find_ninja_scroll_movie/

2 Likes