The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

Im actually surprised they gave him the Emmy in 2016 (though very deserved.)

As a whole, Baskets wasn’t a great show, and a fairly mediocre show on a lower cable network getting the best supporting nod seemed pretty surprising to me.

He also should have won in 2017. Baldwin winning for playing Trump on SNL was a fucking travesty

2 Likes

i enjoyed baskets overall. i’d give the series 4 bags. i still say “cloon” for clown

Ha, I do as well. And I also enjoyed it despite knowing it wasn’t a technically great show. Thought Dale was a much better performance by Zach than Chip.

Watching Mr. Robot S1 for the first time. Enjoying it.

From which season if any does the quality drop off to not being worth continuing?

1 Like

Beginning of season 2 has some pretty rough spots but it recovers and is pretty good throughout the rest of the run to the end which is S4.

1 Like

Finally binged S2 of Euphoria. Thought all the Zendaya stuff was great although wtf happened with her losing $10k in drugs. Did the bad ass drug woman just forget about it after promising to sell her into sex slavery.

Wasn’t as enamored with the play as it seems most were. Thought parts were funny - like the workout number - but in general thought it was pretty boring and just recapping stuff that happened in the show. Also, maybe it’s just me, but also didn’t like the Fez/Ashtray stuff and why did Ashtray go all homicidal with the cops? Seems completely out of place - yeah he’s violent but to protect Fez, so have no clue why he decided to try to kill some cops.

She didn’t forget. She was setting it up to pimp her out. She mentioned as a woman you always have something men want even if you don’t have money and mentioned that she had a feeling that they were meant to be in each other’s lives for a long time. Whether she would have sold her to someone else or did it herself (or had one of whoever those guys were in the house do it) I don’t think it was too clear, but didn’t really need to be.

I liked the play somewhat. It did recap a lot of stuff, but the recapping in some scenes added context to what we had already seen. Overall I thought the play was a playwright’s pretension of the high school play they wished they’d put on, but no kid could put on and no school would let them do it.

I thought the Ash and Fez stuff was weak and reaching. It was tense, and make a kind of sense in the moment, but taking a step back like how many 10 year olds are going to go out in a blaze of glory ever? No body but the purest of psychopaths.

I’m finding Pieces of Her on Netflix to be super hit-and-miss. Plot is interesting and will keep me watching, but some of the dialogue is just atrocious. I love Toni Collette but I’m not sure she was the right one for this role, hard to put my finger on why exactly. It kind of feels like she’s doing one thing and everybody else is doing another.

Just discovered a new season of Survivor has begun, for anyone interested.

Im not sure anyone is, I think Survivor as an instotution is dead.

I gave up on it once it seemed like they were introducing 2 new idols every episode.

It was a pretty good episode I think.

1 Like

Do I need to watch the first one before watching the second one?

yeah my wife is making me watch it and I agree with your assessment. it’s not bad enough that I’m getting mad but it’s definitely off. I think we;re through 5 eps so far

Caught the first two episodes of Picard and I like it.

I haven’t seen the first one, so I’d say no. I guess it could help to get to know Harley Quinn, but not necessary.

I forget which one of you watches telenovelas, but Cocinera del Castamar is legit.

The recent one pretends the first one never happened. The first movie was mired in production/studio hell, the director has disowned it and it’s absolute garbage.

Just don’t watch any DC movie beyond the recent Batman/Suicide squad. Aquaman/Wonder Woman were passable, but really not good. The rest are just so, so bad.

1 Like

The newest season or the first season?

I thought s1 was okay. But maybe I was spoiled by how great Discovery ended up being

I was shocked to realize when reading this that I actually have memories of Luis on Sesame Street. Seemed like a really good guy

5 Likes