The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

Think he can binge 50 eps of BB and 50 eps of BCS in the next month and a half?

Snap take U 30 days for BrBa

Is this a male rite of passage now? Jesus, I am old.

my kids are 16 and 18 but theyā€™ve grokked the idea of an antihero for a while. like, when they were tweeners. things are a lot different now than when we were kids.

1 Like

Kids are way smarter today than they were when I was one. They can handle moral gray areas.

2 Likes

I mean 75%+ of 2+2 reacted that way so itā€™s not just a kid thing. Remember the Skylar debates?

3 Likes

Heā€™s 13. For contrast, he just finished Community. And weā€™ve been watching Beavis & Butthead in the morning (without videos, which sucks).

He understands that it can be ā€œfucking coolā€ and all around awful at the same time. He has a very creative mind and a great sense of humor - he enjoys witnessing fantastic writing and acting just as much as he enjoys things going boom. He aspires to be both a video game developer and a voice actor.

Heā€™s also been struggling lately with anxiety and likely depression (missed several days of school), so it makes him happy to be able to watch something heā€™s heard so much about and is more ā€œgrown up,ā€ especially sharing it with his parents.

Weā€™re into Season 2 now. After Walt shaved his head, dlk9s jr said ā€œNow thatā€™s how Iā€™ve seen him before.ā€ We just finished the episode where Hank kills Tuco (I forgot how few episodes Tuco was actually in). When Hank was driving up, my boy thought it was the cousins, so when Hank got out, he said, ā€œOh no.ā€ Man, it will be interesting to see how he reacts when Hank dies.

I keep cracking dad jokes during the show like, ā€œThat reminds me of my best friend and I in college,ā€ or ā€œI BET THIS WILL GET YOU TO PAY ATTENTION IN CHEMISTRY CLASS, LOLOLOLOL!ā€

5 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation, I love post apocalypse stuff.

iā€™m mad at hbo for hiding Search Party from me for 5 full seasons. itā€™s great! like a dark comedy thriller show starring maeby from arrested development as the main character and the guy from the credit card roulette sketch on itysl as the hilarious gay sidekick. legitimate thrills and big laughs while not undermining the thrillerness, itā€™s fun to watch them walk that line and they do it really well. i binged this one pretty fast.

5 bags of popcorn

2 Likes

Iā€™m a few episodes into season 2 and its great so far. Getting uncomfortable to watch right now at the moment Keithā€™s wife and daughter coming into picture giving me anxiety that all the lies getting unraveled

2 Likes

Watching The Boys:Diabolical.

In a show where Akwafina gets the power to control shit, Andy fucking Samberg wrote episode seven and somehow in the same show aa Akwafina controlling talking turds, he produced a 15 minute short that had me bawling my eyes out.

What even is life

2 Likes

Duel of the Fates can make anything hype

1 Like

Yeah that looks like a must watch. Diabolical too.

Finished Station Eleven. Love post apocalypse stuff so some of it was great but some of it was really dumb. Donā€™t like theater plotlines in any movies, just not interested in theater and it wasnā€™t very compelling to me.

Some characters acted really dumb and there a bunch of other weird plotlines.

Full spoilers

Summary

Also the fact that guy who used child suicide bombers and kidnapped children had a redemption arc because he had a bit of a bad childhood was weird as hell. I mean I like redemption but the dude was a fucking monster.

I did absolutely love that Kirsten & Jeevani found each other at the end though

That saidā€¦ I finished it so I was entertained. Just a weird show.

1 Like

He didnā€™t use child suicide bombers. He mentioned that the suicide bombers were sent by one of his underlings while he was incapacitated due to being stabbed. I think the intent was to show that he was actually fairly non-violent - he stole kids but didnā€™t kill people (although unclear whether the threats to Kirsten about killing everyone in the travelling symphony was just a bluff).

I loved seasons one and two of Search Party, season three less so. I think they thought the show would be over at that point, but somehow ended up making two more seasons. I respect the insanity of those two seasons, but theyā€™re complete departures from the rest of the show, and even from each other.

1 Like

oh yeah. i still loved it. louie anderson was so good. so, so good.

Didnt know Louie Anderson was in it. This has now moved to the top of my list.

If you never watched Baskets but are a Louie fan, go watch it. Its by far my favorite performance of his.

1 Like

fuck yeah. louie anderson should have won an oscar for baskets. i know they donā€™t usually give out oscars for TV but for that they should have made an exception

2 Likes

search party had a long list of recognizable actors play small parts, i loved that too