The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

I’m enjoying Bosch. The Bayou Hacker dude was much less annoying without his own storyline.

I enjoy it too, and I agree I could do without his storyline. No one has figured out how to write hacker characters very well.

1 Like

Fellow Travelers good after one episode. Might be worth a 1-month showtime subscription or trial.

There’s something coming out later this month that definitely merits a one-month Showtime subscription or trial.

Did you know you could put out fires with the sun?

https://x.com/GeorgeFoster72/status/1719430660866048336?s=20

8 Likes

So that on tiktok. Was pretty funny.

Bodies. Final episodes

enjoyed bodies up to episode 6. Although it was a little predictable. Okay. It’s a time loop. Yada Yada. But then Episode 7 just felt like filler that we already knew.

final episode. Like wtf. What is the time travel logic here. It doesn’t really make sense. And then people just disappear? Gtfo.

there was a moment where I thought they were going for a double time loop. Where one loop, where he’s happy, leads to a loop where he’s unhappy, that leads back to the loop where he’s happy. Now THAT would have been an epic original time travel movie

also. How the fuck is the 2053 detective alive in 2023 as a cab driver. There is zero logic there. Just cheating. Not impressed

also. Theres a bunch of times where people just instantly believed in time travel without any evidence, and without ever really being exposed to weird time travel stuff.
Eg. Polly on the second run through, and Weissman when Manix asks him to take the recording.

1 Like

He’s being setup, don’t ya think?

Definitely.

For a much more satisfying iteration of this story, I suggest the movie In the Shadow of the Moon. It’s also already on Netflix.

Would also suggest Predestination, but I’m assuming everyone has already seen that one.

Still fun to see Sarah Snook in a role way before Succession.

1 Like

i didn’t like a couple parts especially the very last shot in the cab because it introduced a dynamic that’s totally new to the story we just saw, but i guess it’s supposed to be an opening to s2 and everybody loves making money so we have to leave it open for s2 no matter what. if a capitalist world where i’m me and watching this show doesn’t exist, then it’s a nonsensical twist. so it’s kind of a bummer being reminded that these shows are a business and not a work of art. which, like i said, i didn’t care for, but it’s otherwise a fun time travel show that hooked me in for a nice binge. kind of like a british Dark. i also liked that the future detective was the child bride character from Unorthodox, because she was really good in that show so i was probably biased into liking her in this one because i know she’s really good

2 Likes

Ill check this out when I reup for The Curse

Loved in the Shadow of the moon.

1 Like

Yeah. She was great. Did some of the best acting.

I just feel that time travel should have some set of rules. You can’t just change them when you feel like it

2 Likes

I think this is true across all of sci fi, the fun is that you can experiment with environments that are totally different from our reality and get immersed in them, but when the “rule of the game” change it damages the immersion and undermines the whole experience.

3 Likes

Agreed. I can come up with anything I want on my own. What I need from someone else is a story that plays with one or two simple changes of how we think reality works, then dazzle me with the butterfly effect of messing with that stuff according to the new rules.

Anyway, I’m watching Downsizing for what must be the tenth time. Can’t quite explain why this movie satisfies so consistently.

I used to really like @midnight, so this could be good. Now, it’s network and not cable, so that’s likely a downgrade, but hey, could be fun:

https://twitter.com/colbertlateshow/status/1719885689062350989

Taylor should be just the right amount of edgy for this show. And just the right amount of funny (Stephen is way funnier imo).

2 Likes

This looks awesome and might finally deliver something better than the adaptation featured in the season three premiere of Highlander.