The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

Having been pleasantly surprised when Little Fires Everywhere actually worked a lot better for me as a limited TV series than it did as a book, I hoped for a similar fate for All the Light We Cannot See (which I also didn’t enjoy all that much in literary form). Unfortunately early indicators are not good.

Given that most people seemed to like the book better than I did, it’s tough to imagine my giving this a go if the adaptation reviews are way underperforming relative to the popularity of the source material.

The Richard Chamberlain mini-series is a classic. A lot to live up to.

3 Likes

Fantastic Gen V finale. Really great cliffhanger

2 Likes

Just came to post similar.

2 Likes

A modern remake of James Clavell’s classic novel?

Hell yes!

Highly recommend the original novel for anyone who watches this and likes it.

Trying to figure out how I think about the mental illness portrayal. Sam and Cate are both the most manipulated of the main cast but also clearly have mental illness. Of course those two thing are not unrelated. Saw Homelander turning the narrative upside down coming. The two most white/gender/body type “traditional”characters become the heroes while the rest are the villains.

You called it.

I’m putting that in my next movie.

Post finale speculation:

I think everything we saw after the Homelander blast is misdirection.

We are in fact going to see Marie as the newest member of the Seven. The footage Homelander is watching is what he’d be watching if he’d done what he wanted to do.

The Gen V crew are in a kind of waiting room while Vought figures out the scripts for these kids who are now products in a bigger story.

I hope not.

2 Likes

Finished watching House of Usher and regretting not going directly for Hill House instead.

is an understatement…the show tells you in ep1 what is going to happen and then goes through with the programme in a mostly unimaginative way (notable exception is ep2, which has a pretty great climax and unfortunately got me hooked for the rest of the series)

Also this clearly suffers from coming so soon after Succession, since it has a very similar setup but is much (much) less well-written (dialogue definitely not Flanagan’s strong suit)

Another take that I’ve seen and agree with is that, if you’re trying to be a bit political and portray some Sackler-type evil family, having them as a (now) standard streaming show cast of multi-ethnic, lgbt-friendly characters feels (at minimum) a little misguided.

Finally, way too many Netflix commercials in this. Please don’t remind me that I’m giving money to a mega corporation while I’m watching your show !

Scavengers Reign is still going strong. 9/12 episodes out. Highly recommend.

1 Like

First episode of Invincible S2 is fantastic.

4 Likes

Looking forward to watching it later

Don’t read this til afterwards

The new villain is great. I really appreciate when a show puts a villain into a coherent mindset and gives solid reasoning why what they are doing is correct to them. With his new memories, Angstrom has now seen Invincible ruin Earth, probably millions of times. It makes an unbelievable amount of sense that he will want to try to stop him now.

2 Likes
4 Likes

5 Likes

Yo that was awesome. I’m pumped

You sing this show’s praises so loudly that I decided me bailing on s1e1 was fine, I could just start on s2e1.

Well…that recap hooked me. I’m spoiled for pretty much everything in s1, but I’m going back to watch the whole thing anyway. Nice to feel differently on a second chance about it, even if it cost me a few twists.

I still spontaneously giggle regularly about the beloved ■■■■ gag from like 20 years ago. That remains the funniest thing I’ve ever seen in my life.

1 Like

Isnt that the nature of tragedy though? Like you dont go into Macbeth confused about what youre about to see. I think the idea that surprise and plot twists are an essential ingedient of a story is a cancer on TV writing. Im totally happy to watch something where the ending is spelled out from the word go.

My gf and I finished it tonight and liked it. Its obviously not perfect, but we recommend it.

I do agree that the diverse cast is a very weird choice though, and led me to believe a twist was coming which never materialized.