The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

That’s the best. Much as I love Star Trek, I agree with critics that their aliens are just humans in costumes. I love finding a story where the aliens are so far from human, part of the ask is in how the hell humans would even relate to them. Like the old sci-fi stories where we discover there are predators who only live inside hyperspace and will eat us as soon as we gain the technology to enter that space.

1 Like

Watched episode 1. Not sure what to think yet.

1 Like

Dont think youll have an idea before the three available episodes are done.

1 Like

It’s great, and reminds me a lot of the old Moebius animated feature “Time Masters”:

1 Like

First two episodes of Upload season 3 are true to form. This is a show that delivers with the same consistency, comedy, and depth as The Good Place.

Not surprising since it is a Greg Daniels joint.

Enjoyed Scavangers Reign and ended up watching all 3 eps back/back/back. Definitely mesmerizing.

2 Likes

New season of Bosch

The Fall Of The House Of Usher dropped this weekend on Netflix. I thought it was quite good. If you enjoy Mike Flanagan’s other stuff (Haunting of Hill House, Haunting of Bly Manor, Midnight Mass) you’ll have a good time with this one. It’s got more adult language and nudity than previous entries so be warned if you watch these kinds of shows with the family.

I like Flanagan’s way of telling stories and how he pulls from the same stable of actors for each project. Even though each of his mini series has been quite different there’s an element of familiarity each time. Anyway, thumbs up from me.

1 Like

It’s not about the R&B singer?

Unfortunately, no. It’s based on the works of Poe.

This rationale might even tempt a person to watch Parks and Rec…

1 Like

Tempting!

How would you rank it compared to Flanagan’s older shows ? I watched one ep of the new one but wondering if I shouldnt watch one of those before.

Only seen Midnight mass which gets better and better in my memory as time passes (i was disappointed at the time bc theres a good portion of it that’s not great/could have been cut, but the good parts are very very good and they’re all I remember now)

2 Likes

Honestly I was thinking about this earlier and found I have a hard time ranking them myself. I think the internet favorite prior to Usher’s release was Hill House. Personally I thought Bly Manor and Midnight Mass really picked up steam and finished very strong but had semi slow starts, where Hill House felt more solid from the jump. I think I’ll watch the previous ones again beforeI can rank them. At 8 episodes a pop they’re pretty easy to blast through.

You’re right about Midnight Mass. I went back and watched the boat scene and got pumped for a rewatch.

2 Likes

If y’all want excellent breakdowns, highly recommend these by Amanda the Jedi.

2 Likes

Stark Trek aliens are the best. Just add a few funny nose wrinkles or pointy ears and it’s a totally alien life form. Put a hat on Spock and no one can tell he came from another planet.

3 Likes

Funny enough, I watched him last night in Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978). That movie is a stone cold classic.

Freaked the hell out of me!

1 Like

https://x.com/tholzerman/status/507704437695987712

(tweet from 2014)

obv there’s many things to do with a time machine, but going to my 10 year ago self to tell him that the weirdly faced man he just saw playing creepy sex games with Lena Dunham would become the biggest actor of his generation & make movies with all the living great directors would be on my list just to see the shocked reaction.

(can make a similar point with Jesse Plemons / FNL but it’s not nearly as funny imo)

2 Likes