The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

I watched the pilot, shrugged, didn’t continue. Or it’s possible I started into episode 2? Either way, I gave it at least a minimal chance to hook me. Not impossible I’ll try again one day, but the overall feedback I’ve gotten hasn’t really pushed me that way.

I will say that my first try at Schitt’s Creek resulted in me saying “this is stupid” and turning it off. It took a large legion of people swearing up and down that it’s really good to get me to make another run at it. And then I loved it when I did. The second try does work sometimes.

1 Like

The Newsroom about a good morning america type show where 50-year-old reese witherspoon is the idealistic young reporter. Very preachy. Apparently sexism is bad. I didnt find any character to be likable.

But with jon hamm… ill watch jon hamm

I read this in the voice of Stanley Hudson on Pretzel Day.

2 Likes

Jesus. Regardless of the quality, that’s awful for the crew.

Fewer than half of the series’ 18 episodes had been shot, but it was enough for Marvel executives, including chief Kevin Feige, to review the footage and come away with a clear-eyed assessment: The show wasn’t working.

With Daredevil’s new direction, Marvel hopes to right the ship on a project with sky-high expectations. The show is Marvel’s first to feature a hero who already had a successful series on Netflix, running three seasons. But sources say that Corman and Ord crafted a legal procedural that did not resemble the Netflix version, known for its action and violence. Cox didn’t even show up in costume until the fourth episode. Marvel, after greenlighting the concept, found itself needing to rethink the original intention of the show.

Law and Order: Daredevil

4 Likes

My parents were somehow on board with Schitt’s Creek before most people. My dad kept telling me I would like it and while I believed him, I figured it would be a corny comedy because a) my dad liked it, and b) it’s name. Oh hahahah it’s like SHIT’S CREEK!

But yeah, it was fantastic.

I do think it took a while to find its step. I still don’t think the initial episodes are good. The David character is an acquired taste, and it’s truly amazing to me that I went from “this is the most annoying character on earth” to him being able to move me to tears by the end.

Moira really never becomes a good character IMO, and I love Catherine O’Hara.

I found Schitt’s Creek amusing, but I never viewed it as top-tier TV.

2 Likes

I’m finding the new season of “Sex Education” pretty annoying, but I can’t pinpoint why.

1 Like

Is it because you can think of at least two things wrong with that title?

2 Likes

Haven’t watched the new season yet but the reviews aren’t great. That’s too bad, I really love the first three season, such a great show.

Still going to watch 4 and temper my expectations. I understand they introduced a bunch of new characters which is disappointing. There are enough threads to close without introducing additional plots.

Maybe an odd comparison but it reminds me of the last season of Banshee. It was a shortened season and they introduce Eliza Dushku and the whole serial killer arc. Completely unnecessary and it diminished the resolutions for the regular characters.

Banshee spoiler

Proctor getting killed by the cartel was the worst. After everything that went down the previous seasons, it absolutely should have been Hood or Carrie who got him instead of some random cartel hitmen.

Banshee is so sick and not enough people know that

Man thats a show i haven’t thought of in a while, agree it’s definitely worth a watch if you can find it.

I’ve been sick this month and watching a lot of dumb TV. Ended up watching a Netflix game show show from Korea called the Devils Plan, where a bunch of minor celebrity’s play a gauntlet of strategy games. The games (many of which are poker inspired) are legitimately pretty great and some of the players are impressive, all told about as good as you could expect if that sounds like your kind of thing.

Comparable to The Genius?

I’ve never seen it. I don’t know anything about Korean game shows in general, but no way a US version of this would be 10 percent as good.

1 Like

If you enjoyed the one you’re talking about, try to find The Genius. Many in the 2+2 POGosphere consider it the best game/reality show of all time

2 Likes

OMG plus The Genius werewolf/mafia game is infamous. Good lord it still leaves a taste in the mouth.

Edit: Found the old game thread! User warning this links to 2+2/POG

Really enjoying Gen V. It doesn’t hit the same highs as The Boys but its got plenty of good stuff. The Puppet scene and Get Out references were both highlights tonight.

1 Like

Agree. I’m a couple eps behind.

1 Like