The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

I thought the opening of Invasion was refreshing but idk watching the rest of the episode.

If you haven’t seen it yet, the mini series Hijack is a banger. Idris Elba does not miss.

I’m also enjoying the hell out of the new season of The Morning Show but can tell after listening to The Watch I need to give grace to people who don’t enjoy it lol.

2 Likes

Really wanted to love Hijack, just thought they could have done a better job making it even slightly believable.

3 Likes

Same. Mostly felt like Idris Elba elevating weak material through charisma alone. It was watchable, but I wasn’t over the moon about it.

2 Likes

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Yeah, The Dark Tower was so bad he couldnt even do that. I never thought that would be possible, but that pile of shit pulled it off.

1 Like

Idris is the next James Bond that we need.

2 Likes

I hear you about the rest of the movie, I just think Elba delivers whenever it’s him speaking.

I mean as bad as the first movie was, I think we would all show up opening night if he were to star in a sequel worthy of his talent.

What if they managed to turn The Dark Tower into the same interconnected cinematic universe we received in the books?

We getting a sequel to Heat and Seinfeld all in the same year!!!

Twitter link

When asked if he liked the ending of “Seinfeld” during a stand-up set on Saturday night, Jerry Seinfeld told a Boston audience that he “has a little secret” about the finale of the show.

“Something is going to happen that has to do with that ending. It hasn’t happened yet,” Seinfeld said to big cheers. “Just what you are thinking about, Larry [David] and I have also been thinking about. So, you’ll see.”

380ec2c85037d01425719b2d02b5263b

3 Likes

I mean…the Seinfeld reunion within Curb was a good way to do a functional sequel without it being painful. I’m pretty surprised by whatever this is since Jerry has always been so adamant about not doing that.

But if it’s just some sort of one-time special and not a full reboot of the series then I could probably find some optimism for it.

3 Likes

He must have gotten tired of not being to say stuff at colleges.

Topic is my new favorite streaming platform. Just oodles and oodles of international fare.

Latest on deck is this intriguing three-episode series in French (but set in Norway) about a group of scientists who discover a seemingly unending string of rope in the isolated forest behind their base.

They’re hoping to gather data that will help them map the furthermost reaches of the universe and understand the origin of everything around us. Their theory is that by using what they call “repeaters”, or Fast Radio Bursts, they can receive signals from the far side of the universe. And then, right before they begin to harvest the data that just might confirm their theories, they find a rope…running past their base and out into the woods.

There’s no end in sight: pulling on it doesn’t roll it up. For some at the base, this rapidly becomes a mystery that must be solved. There’s only one way to find out where the rope leads, and that’s by following it wherever it may go.

It’s a journey into the unknown that’s chilling in its simplicity. Who wouldn’t want to know where this mysterious rope leads? Having it appear next to a group of scientists already on a quest for meaning suggests one particular path. But as they (and we) soon discover, the rope is heading in a direction all its own. Just how far are Bernhardt and his team willing to go for answers?

The series is based on a German novel by Stefan aus dem Siepen that takes place in 19th century with peasants. The series updates the story to modern times with scientists.

Episode 1 was excellent. Onward to the end of the rope!

Christ was that ending a surprise. I will be thinking about this series for a while.

The Rope is like an episode of Black Mirror if you remove most of the jokes and add a small amount of hope.

Jean-Marc Barr described it as “melancholic horror.”

Dorothée Barba compared the story to The Blair Witch Project, saying the audience knows things will go wrong.

I am obliged to make a confession to you: I am a very small person. My threshold of resistance to fear and anxiety is tiny. When these women and men start to follow the rope, I want to shout at them: “But it’s not okay? Have you never seen The Blair Witch Project ? You know very well that this story is going to go badly! Please return to base! » Needless to say, I was probably terrified faster than you will be.

Three episodes at 52 minutes a piece.

Total runtime is about the same as a long movie: 156 minutes

Really enjoying Lupin 3 episodes in. It is a French thriller/revenge drama that is delivering so far. It helps the dubs are well done enough to turn them on and not really even notice.

2 Likes

Sean Fennessey on The Big Picture, raving about how Emma Stone is doing, mentions, “Oh, and I did start watching The Curse.” “And?” “I can’t say anything about it but to confirm that I’ve watched episodes of it.” “Oh, there was some warning that you couldn’t, or…” “I’ve said nothing.”

Guessing that means there’s a lid on any reviews coming out before its first airing. Nathan Fielder is keeping kayfabe alive.

There is another spot for it that has shown up on my Paramount Plus as a quick preview when opening something else, and I can’t find video of it online, but it gives away as little as the first teaser does.

2 Likes

Last Stop Larrimah on HBO was a good watch. I think Fran was totally in on it.

New episode has Tig Notaro :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Y’all gotta at least watch the episodes with Jon Hamm. He is playing a mirror version of Elon Musk.

:vince1:

1 Like

I lack your ability to just pick up a show at anything that isn’t S01E01.

2 Likes

That’s fair. You could always watch the whole show…

But I fear your tastes are too similar to Andy and Chris/The Watch :pensive: