The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

Am I the only one who today learned that the phrase “jumped the shark” literally was born from Fonzie jumping the shark?

Yes

17 Likes

Watching Nip/Tuck for the first time since it originally aired.

It’s basically a soap opera, but with better writing and acting.

Still digging it though.

2 Likes

So yeah, I kind of got hooked on the show in the shadow city in s1e2, so if you have reservations about the main actors then I don’t want to raise your expectations too much, they’re still the same people in s2, but without spoiling much, they’re in different situations, and there are new characters, new dynamics, might be worth grunching the rest of s1 and jumping into s2 like RF did and see what you think.

2 Likes

Must have been absent from school the day they handed out this particular piece of common knowledge.

2 Likes

Shadow city just annoyed me, lol.

Matt just randomly following a shadow he sees at night in this deadly city? Characters with no sense of self-preservation annoy me.

And what was the plan after they escaped the trollocks exactly? Hang out in the city of death until…what? Why not just try to run through at least?

I really enjoyed the atmospherics of it. Some people think the cgi isn’t great but I thought it worked very well there, I loved the architecture, there was both a sense of spaciousness there but also emptiness; the purple dusk-mixed coloring, the strange music, it kind of elevated itself from being just another rando destination in anytown fantasy show. So sure, the plot of it was a bit silly from the analytical side, but introduce me to a spooky ghost town with an out-there soundtrack and you’ve got yourself a fan.

Fair enough, I can appreciate that. I just have a tendency to get hung up on plot details I find illogical. I don’t care about the CGI really.

1 Like

Awww, bummer :(

1 Like

3 episodes in Wheel of Time season 2 is definitely than season 1 so far, I’m digging it

1 Like

I thought everyone knew that. :rofl:

I may be a little late, but I randomly put on the Telemarketers on HBO last night and ended up watching the whole thing. Probably the best True Crime doc I have seen in recent memory, my highest recommendation. Also one of the few shows I am genuinely glad I knew nothing about before watching, but I can’t help but say that “I didn’t realize that Pat would be so bad at this” rivals “Is Greg having an affair” as the most I have ever laughed at an HBO show.

3 Likes

Just read drew Carey has been paying for all writers meals at bob’s big boy and swingers during the strike. Speculation is he spent at least $500k at bobs and an average of 10k a week at swingers.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/JeffTopolski/status/1706380281232708056

https://twitter.com/dashiell/status/1706378582896021719

https://twitter.com/ReallyMighty/status/1706416170893811873

7 Likes

Who pays the tip though!

1 Like

Some strong praise from The Watch podcast for historical heist series The Gold. One of the hosts says The Gold does in three episodes what The Wire did in twenty five.

Hugh Bonneville stars alongside Jack Lowden and Dominic Cooper in a series inspired by the iconic true story of the Brink’s-Mat robbery and its aftermath. On 26 November 1983, six armed men broke into the Brink’s-Mat security depot, stumbling across gold bullion worth £26m. The disposal of the bullion caused the birth of large-scale international money laundering, provided the dirty money that helped fuel the London Docklands property boom, united blue and white-collar criminals and left controversy and murder in its wake. What started as a `typical Old Kent Road armed robbery’ according to detectives at the time, became a seminal event in British criminal history.

Praise from other critics.

Gonna check this out!

The hosts also discuss the end of the most recent writers strike.

1 Like

Love a good heist show.

1 Like
4 Likes

Very excited for this.

Also stupidly excited for this… though curiously the voices (and yes I realize they are the same actors) are not the same as from the movie. Its like everybody put an English dubbing anime voice on, like Tiny Fey in Ponyo.