The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

Discovery dickhead is all about the bottom line. He’s selling the rights to everything he can for pennies. My guess is they figure anyone who was going to sign up to Max for legacy content has done so by now.

1 Like

I think I agree, though the entire episode of Dinosaurs being super dismal instead of just the ending scene pushes it closer for me. Its essentially 23 minutes of cute dinosaur puppets having an existential crisis of their impending, inescapable doom.

1 Like

I’ll say that finale is completely wild, especially in context of it being a TGIF show, a block specifically dedicated for years to paint-by-numbers family TV that never ended anything unhappily (even if the Mr. Belvedere finale felt kind of surprisingly bleak). But Dinosaurs was always pretty subversive while totally being something you could let your kids watch.

2 Likes

Apparently there was a made-for-TV movie several years after the finale.

1 Like

“They discuss ALF’s relationship with the Tanner family, who have moved to Iceland under the Witness Protection Program.”

Uh-huh, suuuuuuuure they have

In 6th grade, we made time capsules in school - a shoebox where we put a bunch of stuff that symbolized us, were important, etc. Taped it up and wrote on it: “DO NOT OPEN UNTIL THE YEAR 2000”. 6th grade would’ve been 1987-1988 for me.

I dutifully kept it with me through high school and college and then in 2000, opened it up. One of the items was a fill-in-the-blank list and under “My favorite TV show is _____” I wrote ALF.

2 Likes

Alf showrunners:
download (1)

3 Likes

I watched a rerun of ALF in the early 2000s on TVLand or something like it.

It was horrendous. It made me embarrassed to say that I liked it as a kid.

And word is the puppetter is one of the most egomaniacal assholes to ever work in television.

My favorite part of ALF was when we got to see his full body. Child me giggled when I saw him run through the living room to try to eat Lucky.

2 Likes

Been doing a rewatch/first watch of Friends with my wife. Through season 7, and the biggest surprise is that, by far, Ross is the funniest character on that show. He not only gets the best storylines, but Schwimmer is an incredible physical actor. His face acting is near the top of my list now.

The episode where he tries to convince himself its ok to try to sleep with his hot cousin almost killed me.

“SAY SOMETHING!NOTHING YOU CAN SAY AT THIS MOMENT CAN BE WORSE THAN WHAT YOU ARE DOING RIGHT NOW!”

Edit: fuck it, gonna put the clip here

2 Likes

Theres some unrelated stuff in there. The second part starts at 3:11

On the flip side, Jennifer Aniston, Courtney Cox, and Matthew Perry are painfully unfunny. My wife still watches it casually in the background a lot as a sort of comfort food - the show hasn’t aged well. Not that anything is offensive (except for only having one black side character in the entire run of the show) - it’s just not funny.

The two actors who played “dumb” characters are funny: Lisa Kudrow and Matt LeBlanc.

One thing I thought was interesting as the show evolved is that the character who was arguably the worst person - Joey, because of his womanizing (I guess Rachel was awful, too) - became probably the nicest, most likeable one over time.

1 Like

Joey’s stupidity to niceness ratio was interesting. The dumber he got, the more nice and supportive he got.

And he gets reallllll dumb near the end

2 Likes

I like him leading his attempted pick-up of the pizza girl with, “You know, I happen to like little boys.”

Not sure if I have him as the funniest character, but Schwimmer may well do the best acting work on the show. I might regard Joey as the funnier character. I’m not sure. Him finding his identical hand twin might be my favorite B-plot of the whole series.

Friends was fine for a couple of seasons, but eventually, all the characters became one note. Ross was neurotic, Joey was dumb, Phoebe was ditzy…

1 Like

Friends is awful and probably one of the most overrated shows ever. Of course the shows with laugh tracks all pretty much aged terribly imo.

5 Likes

Yeah, my wife has commented on the high levels of Flanderisation as the seasons have progressed. It was pretty common for long running sitcoms in the 90s, even the best ones. Frasier and Seinfeld were guilty of it as well

Yeah, but watching it while high is still a lot of fun

1 Like

This is what I meant with my praise. Hes a much better actual actor than anyone on the cast, its a shame he never went on to do anything else.