The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

The absolute HEAT on this 5-year old analysis from a now-deleted Reddit account on the arc of Mad Men and why Don Draper disintegrated as he told a bullshit story about Hershey bars and childhood:

Summary

Season 6 was a nightmare for Don. His marriage was basically dead, his drinking was spiraling, and it was becoming even clearer that his place in the cultural hegemony was almost gone. He couldn’t even depend on foreseeable societal change: with MLK and RFK murdered in the same year (“Jesus had a bad year”, he says to the minister as “Band of Gold” plays), the youthful idealism that he thought was pushing him out was itself being killed, replaced by an even deeper sense of hopelessness.

In some ways Ted Chaough is to Don what the (idealized) 60’s are to the 50’s: brighter, kinder, more open, more progressive. This is characterized by how much more attracted Peggy (I believe our foremost representative of a contemporary cultural “participant”) is to Ted than Don. He fears Ted but also knows how much Peggy admires and loves him. When he finds out that they are lovers, he demolishes them in the St. Joseph’s “Rosemary’s Baby” pitch, asserting his dominance and presumably exposing Ted’s false virtue. He would have been right to encourage them to end a romantic relationship in a different way, but he chose to do so in a way which was very damaging to Ted . “You’re a monster”, Peggy says to him. Ted is the expression of everything Peggy wants the world to be like, and Don can’t stand to see it. In his vindictiveness, he would rather see the idealism of Ted (and the 60’s) crumble rather than be replaced by it.

Amidst all this marital, professional, cultural, and existential strife, Don sees (AKA steals from Stan in another act of cultural theft) an opportunity to start again in his personal Shangri-La: California. He can forget about the 50’s vs the 60’s, him vs Ted, fix his marriage, and regain a sense of purpose in his work. He can escape his problems by ignoring them.

However, he is tripped up by an extraordinary request by his rival, Ted: to let Ted go to California in his place, to give up his place in Shangri-La. Ted’s explanation is simple, he needs to keep his family together, for his love of Peggy is idealistic but harmful to the people he has already pledged his life to. This is the 60’s admitting to the 50’s that maybe a little bit of that cultural traditionalism was good. That all the grooviness and free love and weird Beatles tracks that Ted represents and Don doesn’t understand might not be the answer to everything, and that the simple, traditional love between a parent and child is more important. Don rebuffs him.

During the Hershey meeting, though, Don snaps. His pitch is one of pure 50’s nostalgia, the child feeling the love of the parent expressed through the chocolate totem. However, Don is pretending, he has never once felt that feeling. That is because although Don represents the 50’s in all its traditional glory, he is not Don. Dick Whitman comes from the same cultural nihilism that is now threatening Ted, Ted’s family, 50’s traditionalism, and the 60’s idealism. He realizes that the presence of a loving family is the glue that holds families, societies, and individual’s lives together, and even though he never had it and has to some extent fucked it up with his own children, he can still help Ted.

He sheds his mask in front of everyone, shows them the morbid possible reality that threatens everyone (in the heartbreaking poverty of his childhood), and then gives up his place to Ted. He is giving Ted some chance to retain real meaning and love in his life, outside his pretend fantasies of 50’s traditionalism or the fading hope of 60’s idealism. “California” is an unknown compared to these, but it holds new possibility. Then he leaves and shows his children who he really his.

I wrote this up really quick and probably didn’t connect all the cultural symbolism perfectly, but I think it gets to the core of how Don’s meltdown in the Hershey represents a breaking point for his personal and society’s wider cultural anxieties.

1 Like

Speaking of, did you see The Terror (on prime)? Dark as hell, but my goodness what an absolute powerhouse of British male actors (for good reason)! Amazing show, possibly most criminally underwatched (?) compared to how good it is.

1 Like

Yeah, read about this with the Charter/ESPN dispute. Cable companies are done w/ paying ESPN, etc. a kajillion dollars and then giving cut rates to customers.

Now telling both the ESPNs and customers to f off as the business model has gotten so shitty for them that they feel like they have little to lose. They are fine with just selling internet to you.

I never saw it. Dan Simmons is super not to my taste just in his style of storytelling (and thickness of his books wtf).

But I see the show was made by Ridley Scott. Perhaps I judged the adaptation too quickly?

I found it absolutely top notch. It’s a bit of a slow burn, but both the acting and the plot is phenomenal imo. Definitely not to everyone’s taste though, my wife peaced out after a couple of episodes.

I might rank it in my top 10 or at least top 20 shows ever.

You’ll have to watch at least half the season to get a fair impression though imo, can’t really say why without spoilering.

1 Like

It’s not streaming literally anywhere but VOD, but I will keep an eye out during my morning JustWatch inquiry to catch when it’s streaming.

High praise indeed! Available on Prime here, huh.

1 Like

The Terror was excellent, at least season 1 i never watched the other one.

2 Likes

Toast of Tinseltown is free (with commercials) on roku channel. i watched in a computer browser without having to make an account at all. pretty nice.

an semispinoff series 3 of Toast of London starring matt berry, toast goes to america for a slightly americanized version of his usual life. i loved this. my only complaint is there wasn’t enough ed howser-black, but the actors who do nadja and nandor each make separate appearances as wacky characters

5 bags of popcorn

Some industry discussion on why Winning Time and many other series are canceled and slightly retooled so as to revert to season 1 contract terms.

Hollywood is gross but the actors and writers are going to end up caving in before the producers, and it sucks.

Whoa, I had not heard that it had been canceled! I know the S2 finale just aired on Sunday and we just watched it last night so I was scanning the board before I posted and just saw this. Did they account cancellation during the season??? If so then the way they ended it makes a lot more sense

It seems like it just got announced as the finale dropped. I just caught up on the finale last night myself, and yeah it’s a really abrupt transition from something that barely feels like a season finale to suddenly wrapping up the whole series.

I suppose it’s at least good that they were able to put a bow on it, as clumsy as it was. Not an ALF situation where we were suddenly left with the darkest finale of all time.

2 Likes

Agreed. It sure seemed like they had at least one more season left in them. It was super strange for the last season of the show, particularly the last several episodes, to focus on the playoff run where they lose to the Celtics, and then not take us through the very next season where they finally get the monkey off their backs and take one from Boston. Another extremely odd choice, which I guess in hindsight was not a “choice” at all but rather a by-product of the fact that the show was canceled, is the fact that they spent all of that time on Jerry’s “wife” suing him for divorce and trying to take the team from him over him still being married to his first wife…and then just not resolving that plot thread at all. Now that I know that it’s canceled, I assume they would have gotten to it in S3, but it should have been dealt with in the finale otherwise.

As mentioned above, someone else (possibly showtime) will pick it up after the strike, rename it as Showtime season 1 or some shit, and fuck over the writers/staff

1 Like

To this day, Alf is being experimented on by (at best) the US government

3 Likes

Oh also, the Tanners are super fucking dead

1 Like

More depressing sitcom finale: Alf, or Dinosaurs?

Also I am noticing a ton of HBO content popping up on Netflix now. I just restarted ‘Band of Brothers’ out of sheer boredom the other night. Why would HBO/Max do this? The entire point of signing up to MAX is to get access to stuff like that you can’t get anywhere else. No wonder their stock is in the god damn shitter.

1 Like

Gotta go with ALF. He was a fictional character who could have simply gotten a happy ending, and seeing how the show actually wrapped gives you a “WTF is this shit?” reaction even though it’s easily understood that it was unexpectedly canceled. Dinosaurs ending is dark, but there’s a part of me that reacts with warm fuzzies over the fact that they actually had the guts to go there.

2 Likes