The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

I think you could safely just start at the premiere of season two without missing much. Like The Office, that first season is just six subpar episodes and then it becomes something that feels like a totally different show. It’s perversely amusing to me when Ratingraph makes a season of TV look this bad.

I would have quit on it for sure if it weren’t still in the era of sitting and watching the NBC Thursday night lineup, with Parks and Rec getting that sweet lead-in spot right before The Office aired.

2 Likes

Agree, but it’s gonna get old fast if they don’t do something. The episodes are all extremely formulaic. It’s a good formula, but eventually it’s gonna get stale.

Dude I love Prince of Darkness. Underrated. But I really love all things 80s Carpenter.

Yeah whenever I do a parks and rec rewatch I just start directly with season 3. I know I am missing some good moments in season 2, but season 3 is where it fully hits it stride. Probably best to start with season 2 if you are starting off new, and eventually watch season 1 as a curiousity of a show trying to find its footing.

1 Like

I remember S02E16 being the episode where I felt sure that the show was going to be great (think it may have been the first time I thought, “oh shit, do I actually like Andy now?”). But yeah, for a first-timer I couldn’t suggest skipping that far either. Think there’s a lot to recommend about season two.

1 Like

If you are feeling like you are not full of enough rage today, watch the Boy Scouts child abuse documentary on Netflix. I don’t have the words. And nutcases are out there running around trying to identify systemic child sexual abuse at pizza joints. It’s right there! The Boy Scouts! The Catholic Church!

2 Likes

That’s awful :disappointed:

The big group for my childhood in Mississippi was Royal Rangers. This was like Boy Scouts but was founded by Assemblies of God and explicitly designed to turn rangers into soldiers for Christ.

It’s hard for me to read that article. A bunch of core memories I still repress from everything I experienced or saw them do to others.

3 Likes

Ugh I’m so sorry.

1 Like

Thanks friend :blush:

I’m back, baby!

2 Likes

Just saw a commercial, Welcome to Wrexham new season this month!

Blasphemy. Diversity Day and Basketball are classics. I wouldn’t call any of them subpar, maybe The Pilot.

1 Like

Happy Bird Day.

There’s some decent stuff in season 1, but the show is never as weak overall as that again until it hits the downslope late in the series.

True, but for me that season is still like an 8, whereas the next 4 seasons are 9-10. So it’s still worth watching and far from subpar.

Also, Kevin actually talked like a human in that season, so there’s that.

Yeah, I probably should have worded it differently; S1 of The Office surely crushes any season of, say, Two Broke Girls. Still, I struggle to recommend that any newcomer starts there. It’s relatively weak enough that I would fear a potential fan falling off. It also barely feels like canon since characters like Kevin and Kelly - and, to an extent, Michael - are just totally other people.

1 Like

Season 3 of parks and red is a short episode run, but my favorite sitcom season ever.

I think also in the context of someone going in cold, it’s fair to tell someone that they should give season one a shot, but if they don’t like it, see if the round in the season two chamber fires.

This sounds eerily familiar to the scam the Dark Tower fans ran on me.

1 Like

It’s not a scam if they’re all just different iterations of the Dark Tower.

The man in black fled across the desert, and the regional manager followed.

2 Likes

Swoon

1 Like