The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

I’ve been watching the latest of Rick Steves Europe on Prime, and for some reason the most recent episodes are about Egypt and other places in Africa

The whole militia plotline was embarrassingly half-assed, it seemed like they dressed up as generic militia guys and made it up on the spot. I have all sorts of complaints about this season but I’m cutting myself off.

I think McBride has said he thinks that show has a lot of interesting stuff left in it (I disagree, based on this 3/10 season) and plans on doing it for several more seasons. Maybe next season can have an entire episode of the “Redeemer” monster truck driving through $45 sets of particle board living room furniture in a boring field over and over and over while they cheer.

1 Like

Justified:

I agree with everything you wrote, I thought I was the only person who didn’t love it top-to-bottom. It was great to see Raylan for sure, but that was the show’s only reason to exist. Soooooo many plot points that didn’t make sense or were ridiculous. And good lord the daughter, yikes.

They make Clement into an almost supernatural killing machine, he waltzes into the Albanian nursing home and all of a sudden those super-badasses were like stormtroopers. And then Raylan just shoots him with zero struggle at all.

And while I appreciate the fan service of giving us some Boyd, and would have been mad if they hadn’t, it was really silly.

Ah, Borders. Such a sweet time, when America still had bookstores.

2 Likes

My nostalgia is tempered somewhat by research revealing that the comfy reading chairs were soaked in pee, but it really was a different kind of bookstore than B&N.

I used to shop at the very first Border’s in Ann Arbor.

3 Likes

After finishing City Primeval I started watching the original series again. Just finished S2 and my god it’s better than I remembered. I love how Raylan Givens is basically Seth Bullock and it doesn’t even matter. Cast Timothy Olyphant in marshall roles with a cowboy hat and I’m all in. Dude is just cool as hell

1 Like

1 Like

Danny thought Scientology was gonna bail him out of being a rapist but nope! Adios!

First three episodes have been pretty good.

Probably the correct move to make this the last season.

I need to center it but I wanted something from the show was all they had at the time on ebay.

2 Likes

I’m most of the way through S1 of Dark Winds and I am enjoying it but find some of the acting pretty poor and overall it is a very weird show. In particular the guy who plays the white FBI agent who would be perfect for Biff Tannen in a BTTF reboot is awful. If anyone else here is watching I will go into more detail in spoilers.

1 Like

Good stuff on Peacock in the order in which I scrolled across it:

The Price We Pay
Suits
Every Body
The Northman
Hypnotic
My Big Fat Greek Wedding
The Super Mario Bros Movie
The Bone Collector
The Mummy (Brendan Fraser or Tom Cruise lol)
Salt
Billy Madison
Psycho
Horizon Line
When A Stranger Calls
Renfield
Bel Air
The Office
Brooklyn 99
That 70s Show
Quantum Leap
The Outfit
The Traitors (almost every version from lots of countries)
Waiting…
John Wick
Bupkis
Chucky the series
Dr Death
A Friend of the Family
Desperado

1 Like

Not a Parks and Rec fan?

I just started Poker Face tonight, that one looks promising and got solid reviews.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/crazyclipsonly/status/1700152509321617505?s=20

this guy watched justified

1 Like

I love what I’ve seen but haven’t really watched the show. Idk if I’ve ever seen an entire episode. I guess that means I’m not that big a fan lol. My ex was a huge fan of the show. Maybe that’s got something to do with my resistance :grin:

Poker Face is great. Bring on season two.

Wow you’re right they just added a shit ton of stuff instead of the straight-to-DVD movies that made up a lot of their catalog. I’m checking out John Carpenter’s Price of Darkness.

2 Likes

As Mike Schur shows go, it beats the hell out of Brooklyn 99, and I liked Brooklyn 99.

That said, to an even greater extent than The Office, there is a season one struggle while it finds its footing. A couple of characters (Leslie and Andy) go from really annoying in season one to being great in future seasons, and the character of Mark goes from worthless and featured constantly to…well, still worthless, but strongly de-emphasized to the point that he’s no longer a burden.

1 Like

Wheel of Time ep4 keeps it going, 99% invested atm. This is not a spoiler, but Servilia (Lindsay Duncan) from Rome joined the cast, and she has a banger of a chat with Moraine this episode. If you’re in any kind of showhole and have prime, check this season out.

2 Likes

I’ve heard that about season one. What season and episode would you suggest I start with?