The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

Same, heh.

The thing is, stuff doesn’t have to be Oscar-worthy for me to enjoy it.

The trouble with online fandoms nowadays is that people seem to care way too much about what others like. I don’t care if someone likes something I didn’t.

If I say I liked something like She-Hulk, I get eviscerated. It’s like, why do people care so much about my preferences? I could argue that She-Hulk was the most comic-accurate MCU series yet, and that there’s an underlying message that I thought they handled in a subtly snarky way and the reaction to the show proves the exact point they were making, but honestly, who cares?

Apparently a lot of people watch things on 1.5x speed and skip the talking parts anyway. Media literacy is dead.

1 Like

I wish I could say the same, but the reality is that the wider success or failure of these shows directly correlates to what options we’ll have in the future. It doesn’t sound like Andor failed on a viewership level, but it wasn’t an overwhelming success either despite being a truly top-flight show. That is disappointing because it seems inevitable that Disney will be ambivalent at best to delivering more of that sort of content.

I could much more easily embrace a stance of “I like what I like, you like what you like” if fan reaction wasn’t wagging the dog.

2 Likes

But that’s not what i mean. I totally understand trying to convince someone to like something you like.

It’s the opposite phenomenon that I can’t stand, where people try to convince you to hate something. It’s so fucking weird.

2 Likes

I don’t see why it’s weird. The art you like is a mirror of your soul. If your soul is reflecting vacuous trash, it’s only kind to lend a helping hand.

1 Like

Just popping in with half an eye open, finished episode one but not two yet; very limited exposure to other Ashoka material, thought the first episode was good but not great.

Plot felt just a tad slow, it could have created more tension with the baddies. Without knowing much about the other characters, I do think it’s fine for somebody new to be a little lost, they didn’t fall for the trap of too much exposition.

Thought Ashoka’s first fight against the droids at the shrine was pretty good, but not nearly as good as her first appearance in Mando. The duel at the end with Sabine was disappointing though, really thought it was a chance to go hard on some great choreography but it was very meh.

Other than that it was fine, the map/key trope was tedious but it lays out the stakes with Thrawn and finding Ezra reasonably well so I’m feeling ok going into ep 2.

That sort of reaction just makes me like something more.

My soul must reflect everything, because there is very little out there that I actively dislike. I tend to differentiate instead based on what I see as the deeper themes the creators were going for. Sure, a lot of stuff is forgettable. But hatable? Eh, it takes too much energy.

Maybe I’m an eternal optimist, but I usually can find something good about everything I watch/read/consume, even if it is the most basic of things like, I dunno, joy.

I can count on one hand the shows/movies I’ve ever actively hated, but even then, I’m not going to go out and vehemently berate someone online who happens to enjoy the 1990 Johnny Depp musical/comedy “Cry-Baby.” My self-worth isn’t tied to someone hating the same things I hate.

1 Like

As a wrestling fan who overflows with seething hatred for other wrestling fans because they are primary culprits in the act of having destroyed an art form, I’m pretty sympathetic to negative campaigning for the same reason that I’m sympathetic to positive campaigning. The power of fan reaction over future content cuts both ways; the assessment of a released work isn’t simply a measurement of enthusiasm or the absence of enthusiasm.

Within the scope of releasing new movies, Star Wars seems to have done a full Kramer/Newman shutdown/retool because of how much venom the Rise of Skywalker got. A bunch of announced half-assed plans seem to have just been perma-scuttled in favor of what’s on the drawing board now. That’s a good thing! I mean, I would much prefer an alternative universe where the movie was great and the other movies had been released and were also great and the negative campaign wasn’t necessary, but since they didn’t provide us that universe, I’m glad that the message was received.

(I liked She-Hulk pretty well too.)

S2e2 Winning Time was pretty good. Forgot to mention how much I like Jerry West in this show.

May be a while until I see the rest of s2. Max let me cancel without any further deals. Their loss :rofl:

Edit: episode 3 is up too.

1 Like

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease be good

3 Likes

no niles. no the dad. do these people not understand why we loved the original? :harold:

2 Likes

The dog

Yeah hes dead too

[frasier reboot, writer’s room, day 1]

me: okay so frasier’s dad and brother are dead and frasier is broke so he takes in a new roommate who has dozens of pet spiders…

head writer: that’s not the direction we’re going, we want the tone to be a classy, high brow–

me (interrupting): did you ever WATCH the show

4 Likes

How many failed shows has Grammer had post-Frazier?

Yeah, the lack of David Hyde Pierce seems fatal. I guess the fact that they had to build the Frasierverse from the ground up once theoretically means they could do it again, but it’s quite a longshot.

2 Likes

Back to You is the only one I can think of. Have there been others?

Boss

1 Like

Money Plane. Not a show, but yeeeesh

1 Like