The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

Clearly, but yes I forgot that one. You can also add News Radio and WKRP in Cincinnati and Murphy Brown in there too

1 Like

That one Christmas episode of Studio 60 worked at least.

It was slightly better than the weird-ass one where Bradley Whitford gave the creepiest attempt at a purportedly romantic TV scene that I can remember. I think he threatened to stalk Amanda Peet or some such thing and that the audience was supposed to go “aww.”

:vince:

Depends on if it’s the shot or chaser

I don’t know. Did it improve after the opening scene where I noped the fuck out after the Jeff Daniels character went full boomer?

EDIT: I guess LFS posted the other scene that I’ve seen. I assume the rest of the show is better (how could it not be?), but I can’t imagine it makes up for those.

1 Like

Ok binging the new Untold on Netflix about Urban Meyer and the Florida dynasty years tonight. I feel like there has to be a lot behind the scenes from Tebow to Hernandez. Hopefully they go full blower digging dirt bc fuck Urban Meyer.

Haven’t seen it yet myself, but unfortunately from this it seems like it was a missed opportunity.

Jim Weber on X: “OK, finished binging “Swamp Kings” on 1.5 x speed and man, how disappointing. Just off the top of my head, things omitted from the doc include: https://t.co/4frxqV4xYh” / X (twitter.com)

1 Like

I enjoyed the meta of stuff like seeing a newsroom as Obama is elected, but the revisionist history of things journalists massively messed up feels somehow like a cheap point when applied to a newsroom covering actual events over a fictional West Wing.

1 Like

Halfway home and so far it is a Gators Football/Urban Meyer promo video.

ETA- Based on the title of Ep. 3 maybe that is about to change.

Man, there are a lot of contemptible college football coaches, but it’s hard to top Urban. I couldn’t stomach a Meyer rehab project.

1 Like

Unfortunately that’s largely what it is for 4 episodes.

1 Like

Sir are you aware that losing is not in Urban’s DNA?

Also it turns out that Tim Tebow may be the actual Messiah, and America is about winners and losers.

Hitting play on Ahsoka ep 1 and I haven’t felt this jazzed for a Star Wars story in a long long time. The setup for Admiral Thrawn from the opening crawl alone. And then some of the spoilered cameos I’m anticipating…!!!

I abandoned Mando and Boba Fett. They’re good but not for me if that makes sense. Ahsoka gonna be a banger. You can really see Disney starting to understand the draw of their female characters, eg young Leia vs young Luke, now giving Ahsoka her own series.

What’s next?? Surely Thrawn as the villain means we will now see Mara Jade?!!

More like this :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

1 Like

I thought it was a strong start. That said, I’m someone who has gobbled up all of Star Wars televised canon, and I came in already attached to not only Ahsoka but Sabine and Hera also, which I’m guessing puts me in less than 10% of the overall audience who will watch this. Very curious as to how it will go over with people who never touched the animated material and are just meeting Sabine and Hera for the first time. It felt like they set the tone well on that front, but it’s impossible for me to completely put myself in the shoes who are entering the extended Rebels universe cold.

This angle of Sabine training to be a Jedi without having any pre-existing talent in the force is pretty fascinating. When I saw trailers and Sabine calling Ahsoka “master,” which was not their relationship in the prior canon, I was definitely hoping that they weren’t going to come along and pretend that Sabine has been force-sensitive all along. The droid telling her she was less talented with the force than any Jedi it had ever seen was a happy confirmation that they’re taking this non-traditional approach.

2 Likes

Did you read the extended universe novels back when they were canon? I didn’t watch a lot of the animated shows but understand they are quite strong. Nice to hear a fan of them is digging the live action interpretation. I will continue watching with confidence.

I did not. Historically I was meh on the franchise until a few years ago when I kind of rediscovered it and it clicked for me. I’ve read some canon stuff but none of the stuff that has been decanonized.

Disclaimer on my positivity: though this isn’t reflective of my overall grading when watching things, I feel like I’m kinder to SW properties than lots of SW fans are (though there are still things I don’t like; Rise of Skywalker was an atrocity and the latest season of Mando was not good), so me liking it doesn’t feel like it means a ton. The early returns do have this show at 93% on RT though, so that’s a decent early sign.

2 Likes

Fair enough.

Ep1 was fantastic. Ep2 looking good too.

Rise of Skywalker was bad. If you want a glimpse at what could have been, check out the adaptations of Colin Trevorow’s script before shit hit the fan and JJ Abrams was brought in to completely rewrite the story.

My favorite is the full performance of every character by Jenny Nicholson.

She also covered how much WORSE Rise of Skywalker could have been.

I thought Ahsoka was kind of meh. It feels like they’ve got a lot of explaining to do to have any of this make sense. I’ve watched both Clone Wars and Rebels and I really wonder how someone who may have not watched the cartoons will piece this together to figure out what’s going on.

1 Like

Don’t give up on Mando, since all of Dave Filoni’s series are going to culminate in a movie to tie up the storylines. Main characters will most likely be Ashoka, Bo-Katan, and Din Djarin.

I guess you could watch plot summaries.

1 Like

I’m a fan of these shows, and I’m having such a hard time imagining this movie being good.

Obviously will be there watching on opening weekend in 2035 or whenever anyway.

2 Likes