The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

Another tv casualty

1 Like

How To With John Wilson is great this season, especially eps 3 and 4.

2 Likes

I’m just digging through anthology shows like Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, and Black Mirror, as well as serialized storytelling like X-Files, Warehouse 13, Fringe, Eureka where each episode features a holy crap concept or premise.

The shows are pretty much all bad. Even the Forest Whittaker hosted Twilight Zone reboot is stunningly C level in writing and production.

But every now and then Rotten Tomatoes says hold up, this one is fresh.

USA Today described the show as “Stephen King by way of The Simpsons”, and Matt Roush wrote “Eerie recalls Edward Scissorhands and even—heaven help it—David Lynch in its garish nightmare-comedy depiction of the lurid and silly horrors that lurk beneath suburban conformity.”

You watch Eerie for the small-screen spectacle of it all—to see the way, in the show’s first few weeks, feature-film directors like Joe Dante (Gremlins) and Tim Hunter (River’s Edge) oversaw episodes that summoned up an atmosphere of absurdist suburban dread.

Eerie, Indiana shapes up as one of the fall season’s standouts, a newcomer that has the fresh, bracing look of Edward Scissorhands and scores as a clever, wry presentation well worth watching

One or two of my best workout buddies were from Indiana so I am checking this one out imagining this was their childhood lol

Just binged Painkiller in one sitting. Do not know if that says more about it or me. I am a Pete Berg completist though so I had to do it.

Overall I thought it was pretty good. I kind of tuned out during the penultimate episode, but came around for the final.

Featuring Ferris Bueler, Crazy eyes, David Duchovney’s daughter and the less famous John Ritter offspring, I thought it was a good dramatization. I am not heavy on the facts, so I don’t know how accurate it was. I am under the impression Dopesick is a documentary and will likely watch that.

1 Like

Just knocked out Full Circle (Soderbergh show on Max). I thought the story reached a little bit in order to make everything interconnect, but I thought the performances were solid and I remain impressed with Soderbergh’s ability to build worlds that seem alive and grounded while shining light on things that a lot of his typical audience might not be familiar with.

I also just wrapped the second episode of this season of Billions. The Giamatti storyline feels like a bit of a retread, but I’m intrigued by some of the Prince stuff and I actually like having Axe back (absence makes the heart grow fonder?)

1 Like

X-Files and Fringe, bad?

I’m seriously beginning to doubt your judgment, my friend

Also, both those shows have an overarching story

2 Likes

Only two episodes in, but this season of Only Murders comes out of the gate fast, to its great benefit.

1 Like

I worded that poorly. I meant to emphasize where I said they are pretty much all bad, but not literally all of them. The ones I mention in the opening paragraph are all good. The ones that are bad are “the shows” I’m exploring right now.

Went back and watched the first season of Undone. It really is a work of art, just beautiful.

Going to start season 2 next week.

Meryl fkin Streep. Her opening monologue man. So simple and captivating. Idk how she does it.

Just started the new Justfied. Is it just me or

Is Raylan’s daughter annoying AF

4 Likes

Did you see Pantheon? It isnt the same animation, but when I think of the beauty of Undone I compare it to Pantheon. Its gorgeous

Yes, and it’s Timothy Olyphant’s actual daughter. Enjoying the season overall. It’s Raylan Givens baby!

The English: :+1::+1:

3 Likes

Max just dropped part two of The Telemarketers, a three part docuseries about a telemarketing scam around the Fraternal Order of Police.

Whoo is this good. Apparently the scam is still ongoing and may never stop once you understand how it works.

3 Likes

I get these FoP calls lately but they’re all robo

This doc is insane

2 Likes

The folks at An Injustice published my review of The English! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

The English Cooks Westerns Like The Bear Cooks Kitchen Dramas

Thanks for all of the discussion ITT and the suggestion to watch The Nightingale while finalizing my thoughts.

1 Like

I felt real bad for the immigrants who get those calls and assume it’s a thinly coded shakedown and the “donation” is mandatory for "protection " :confused:

I hadn’t. I looked it up and apparently AMC has done the disappearing act that other streaming services are doing and I couldn’t find it available anywhere.

Fuck thats right, not only did they scrap it and shut down season 2, they went and yanked it from their streaming. Well if you ever take a stroll along the ole internet rivers, its one I recommend trying to find