The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

This is great, but my favorite moment of the series goes to Erlich.

3 Likes

Also, Laurie doesnt get enough love. She gets much much funnier on a second watch.

3 Likes

Fictional representation of what this forum does, except UP number crunches politics instead of dicks.

3 Likes

I love Laurie. I thought it was the right call to bring her in. I guess she ended up being the test run for surprising character replacements lol

1 Like

Yeah they didnt have a ton of choice, with Peter Gregoryā€™s actor dying. They absolutely needed the eccentric analytical investor to make the series work and I think she did a great job providing a similar yet ultimately different feel for that stereotype than Gregory

1 Like

Yes and remarkable representation for neurodivergent women. She was powerful and hilarious without needing to conform to a stereotype. Consider Laurie to be among my favorite Barbies.

But she wouldnā€™t yada yada sex, would she?

1 Like

Still one of my all time favorite bits in a show

1 Like

Wife had never seen Party Down so we just binged it over the last week or so. Aged really well and I liked it more than the first go round. Awesome cast

2 Likes

Love Party Down. Watched the redux season a couple months ago.

When it originally aired I felt I was only person in world watching it.

2 Likes

Love Party Down. Very rewatchable.

Ken Marino is so funny whenever he pops up in something. Great as one of the voice actors competing for the new spot as The Voice of trailers in the movie In A Worldā€¦

Check out this supporting cast!

2 Likes

I thought that Gus killed Victor primarily because he was seen at the scene of Galeā€™s murder.

2 Likes

Little of both. I think he was going to kill him, but the increasing brutality came from Victorā€™s hubris

Hmmm

Breaking Bad and The X-Files are both pretty serious and self-contained shows, but they surprisingly share a universe. The link between the two series is much smaller than a crossover episode, but it is undeniable. Both Breaking Bad and The X-Files have large car rental companies called Lariat Rent-A-Car. The existence of the fictional car company links the two series together, meaning that Breaking Bad and The X-Files actually exist in one large universe.

I knew x files and Cops were in the same universe but wow.

2 Likes

I feel like that kind of reasoning about TV shows that share a universe predates the recent spate of multiverse content. These days youā€™d be hard pressed to find a kid who believes there could only be one universe with a Lariat rental car company.

1 Like

So desperate because we finally could that we didnā€™t stop to think if we should :sob::sob::sob:

I read a neat analysis though that says stories are moving toward a fundamental ā€œmetaā€ component that sometimes looks like a multiverse story because the Internet has changed our brains such that we are constantly in a forced position with a constant third person awareness of how this moment will be expressed for others as a part of the larger culture.

Tldr stories now have to reference each other with multiverse meta awareness in order to feel real

Finished Winning Time S1 and it was way better than I was expecting. Specifically John C. Reilly crushes Buss and I thought the two actors who played Kareem and Magic were great as well. It was wild to me to find out that the actor that played Kareem was a complete acting rookie. That face looks so familiar somehow.

3 Likes

Watching Get Shorty the TV series.

Season two ep six thereā€™s this weird moment when a character is walking toward a helicopter and the numbers on the helicopter change as heā€™s walking???

ezgif-4-9259910c4c

Wow. Didnā€™t know he was a rookie actor. I agree they did a great job with the cast.

Sopranos S5Ep5 (Irregular Around the Margins) was a good one.