The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

I have this in queue for next week

1 Like

Can’t ever get there on the Saul > Breaking Bad take (I think BB is in the convo for GOAT), but Saul is great and massively exceeded expectations from the time it was announced.

1 Like

Three dimensional, believable characters and plotlines that don’t depend on easy thrills of drug use and violence for their impact.

1 Like

Yes, as noted above I agree that it’s a great show.

1 Like

IMO, BB has the better high points. I felt more invested in Walter than Saul.

But BB also started out kinda meh whereas BCS was consistently good all the way through.

However, I’d argue that BB was consistently improving season by season all the way up to the finale which is very rare in TV shows.

2 Likes

I like them both. I think that BB is a bit stronger on the drama and intensity of the plot, but BCS is a bit stronger on the characters. Lots of great characters in BB, of course, but I found Chuck and Kim to be more memorable and richer characters than a lot of the BB characters.

2 Likes

These are very good points and I think ultimately it really is about which show you relate to more strongly.

For me, BCS is the clear favorite for a few reasons.

The first is that it gives Breaking Bad the Batman v Superman treatment given to Man of Steel by addressing criticisms without falling victim to audience expectations.

The show responds to criticisms of Skylar from BB not by satisfying the concerns but by delivering an even MORE powerful co lead female character. Hands down, Kim is the best character in either show. (Mike and Gus are fighting for second place)

Even though Better Call Saul is essentially the Breaking Bad Redux fall from an already flawed grace arc for Jimmy, the juxtaposition of his arc against Kim’s makes a huge difference.

The finale of BCS vs BB’s finale repeats as many moments as all ten tracks on a Nickelback album, but at the end of BCS, I felt like I was still watching a story I felt emotionally connected to, whereas Breaking Bad for me was more a pleasure of voyeurism. I didn’t relate to Walter and the moment he says nah I did unspeakable evil because I was good at it and it felt good, even tho it felt like an AHA WOW moment for the character. It works without resonating with me.

Most of all, I don’t think any of the women in Breaking Bad were written or performed as powerfully as Kim by Rhea Seehorn. It wasn’t that Skylar wasn’t as good a character, just that the show didn’t give her as much a chance to be a strong lead as BCS does every episode for Kim. I wouldn’t be surprised if the BCS writing team added more non-male writers compared to the BB team so as to ensure the story was told equally from a female gaze.

3 Likes

I never watched much SCTV, was before my time, but this one’s killing me. I might have to check this show out more.

I’m on team BB > BCS, and they were both great. But while I plan to rewatch BB at some point, not sure I want to go on the BCS journey again any time soon.

1 Like

I don’t see the need to rank them. They are both genius works of art.

1 Like

I quit BCS in I think season 3. I might read recaps of the first two seasons and pick it back up.

BB is probably my fave show of all time.

Easily BCS for me. Breaking Bad was great but the crime+anti-hero+family dysfunction thing sorta already happened with the Sopranos. BCS was actually more of its own show.

4 Likes

BB was a wild ride on first run, but BCS is better for me in reflection.

Said by someone who just finished their first BCS watch lmao check back with me in ten years after the next spinoff.

1 Like

BB is ever so slightly overrated, like I would call it legendary but something like The Sopranos is immortal. I briefly went the BCS > BB route but I think I’m firmly back to the BB > BCS overall camp. BCS has too many slow boil schemes, and I doubt I will ever rewatch the series, but it does have the best episode and the best scene of the BB universe imo (Howard’s last episode). It’s also cool that they found one of their best villains in the last two seasons. I have Lalo > Gus as fav BB universe villain.

I think rewatchability is an interesting metric. I don’t think I would ever rewatch BCS, but I guess never say never.

1 Like

This is interesting. While I agree this is one of the best TV moments ever I actually prefer the scene where Lalo shows up to the apartment the first time. Its an absolute powerhouse scene for Kim and should have won her an Emmy.

2 Likes

Billions is back tonight. I didn’t see the previous season, nor do I have showtime but I will one day be a billions completist.

Insane three part series on how a regular dude can totally take over the minds of a bunch of normal smart university kids.

It’s so nuts you would call BS if it was a fiction film.

Watch this and it’s pretty easy to understand how people can still think trump is president right now.

2 Likes

Most recent episode of How To is one of the series’ best

IMG_6980